The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MX-Linux on my desktop computer, and SalixOS (32-bit) on a really old laptop that's actually older than me! But runs like a new machine on Linux.
Reply 21
Windows 10, but ubuntu is quite good too
Used Openbsd during my a levels, about to switch to Arch for my degree.
Reply 23
Original post by TSR George
What OS does everyone use primarily?

In what context is the question referring too? Perhaps a poll would be easier to establish is. Just a thought.
Original post by westty
In what context is the question referring too? Perhaps a poll would be easier to establish is. Just a thought.

Context isn't required. It's a direct question and is self explanatory - it's asking what the main operating system is that you use in every day life
And a poll would be way too long, there's hundreds of operating systems
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 25
I only ask if it was for some purpose, if you were building and application or resolve an issue across the OS's.

Not sure about Hundreds? Can only think of the below that likely be used in everyday life.

Windows
MacOs
ChromeOS
Linux
Android
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by westty
I only ask if it was for some purpose, if you were building and application or resolve an issue across the OS's.

Not sure about Hundreds? Can only think of the below that likely be used in everyday life.

Windows
MacOs
ChromeOS
Linux
Android

Linux isn't so much an operating system, it's more a class of OSs that use a common kernel - Some examples include Ubuntu, Arch, Mandrake, CentOS etc (more examples at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions) There's currently over 300 maintained Linux distributions
Also you have FreeBSD and UNIX-based operating systems too which are the same as Linux - Kernels rather than OSs
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 27
Original post by MedicWil
Linux isn't so much an operating system, it's more a class of OSs that use a common kernel - Some examples include Ubuntu, Arch, Mandrake, CentOS etc (more examples at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions) There's currently over 300 maintained Linux distributions
Also you have FreeBSD and UNIX-based operating systems too which are the same as Linux - Kernels rather than OSs

Appreciate that there are various distro's of Linux, but like you say exactly that the underlying kernels, but not all those are 'everyday use', which is why I only wrote 'Linux'.
Windows 11
Original post by westty
Appreciate that there are various distro's of Linux, but like you say exactly that the underlying kernels, but not all those are 'everyday use', which is why I only wrote 'Linux'. To be on the safe side I usually use vulnerability scanners. A vulnerability scanner is a piece of software that can be used to identify security vulnerabilities in systems and applications. Vulnerability scanners can be used to find weaknesses in both internal and external networks. The one from Vulners is the best on the market, my opinion.

Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro.
(edited 1 year ago)
On my main machine, Windows 10.

Not my personal favourite OS by any measure, but running Autodesk software on AmigaOS isn't exactly doable.
Reply 32
Original post by EdwardsWK

Apologies for the necropost but FreeBSD is an OS, rather than a kernel. As is OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc, which all have distinct kernels.
To add to the list there is Plan9/9front, SerenityOS, GNU/Hurd, Solaris, DOS/FreeDOS, TempleOS (all of which are essentially unusable as desktop OSes but are nonetheless quite cool)

Latest

Trending

Trending