The Student Room Group

have a HP desktop want to add new power supply....

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06378057

the link above shows my computer's specifications. I would like some help on whether I can install a new power supply as I would like to upgrade the graphics card in my desktop.

I know it has a - x16 - slot for graphics, im just wondering that if I buy say a 500 w psu will it fit on my motherboard because of the mounting points?

and also will the cables from the PSU fit into the motherboard? or will there be problems with the 24 pin etc..
'Probably'

I don't know exact details but I've never had any issues attaching or mounting a new one, they mount directly onto the casing, not the motherboard and most recent ones i've seen have a whole plethora of plugs compatible with damn near anything of any age.

First thing i'd be doing is finding out exactly what PSU I already had, the website just says 'Internal 180w PSU'

Also, never buy the cheapest PSU in the store, it's cheapest because it's the most likely blow up.
Original post by StriderHort
'Probably'

I don't know exact details but I've never had any issues attaching or mounting a new one, they mount directly onto the casing, not the motherboard and most recent ones i've seen have a whole plethora of plugs compatible with damn near anything of any age.

First thing i'd be doing is finding out exactly what PSU I already had, the website just says 'Internal 180w PSU'

Also, never buy the cheapest PSU in the store, it's cheapest because it's the most likely blow up.

I would actually say probably not, I suspect it will be one with proprietary PSU and motherboard power cable/plug

Looking at other HP custom mobos they seem to use 4 pin main power and not the standard 14+10

@vetmed112 Would you be able to pop the side off the computer and take a picture of the innards so we can see, I don't think it is upgradeable but there is only one way to find out.
Reply 3
Original post by Jammy Duel
I would actually say probably not, I suspect it will be one with proprietary PSU and motherboard power cable/plug

Looking at other HP custom mobos they seem to use 4 pin main power and not the standard 14+10

@vetmed112 Would you be able to pop the side off the computer and take a picture of the innards so we can see, I don't think it is upgradeable but there is only one way to find out.

I don't have a camera, but it seems that you're correct about the 8 pin.... their might be a HP specific PSU in America, but I've asked on the HP forums. thanks for the help.. I'll probably buy a new pc and sell the HP
Original post by Jammy Duel

In fairness I've never knowingly owned an HP desk, is this one of those wee integrated mini case jobs where the components are a bit more akin to laptops? I did notice the site description used the words 'internal/integrated' a worrying number of times.

I think my PSU might have a variety of 4pin connectors, it has 1 going into the MB anyway and another far longer one, it seems to have a variety of 2's & 6's as well along with the standard HD/CD ones, but it does seem to be some all singing all dancing 700w job. Not to say that means it'll fit this HP, but I would genuinely have expected it to fit most stuff.
Original post by StriderHort
In fairness I've never knowingly owned an HP desk, is this one of those wee integrated mini case jobs where the components are a bit more akin to laptops? I did notice the site description used the words 'internal/integrated' a worrying number of times.

I think my PSU might have a variety of 4pin connectors, it has 1 going into the MB anyway and another far longer one, it seems to have a variety of 2's & 6's as well along with the standard HD/CD ones, but it does seem to be some all singing all dancing 700w job. Not to say that means it'll fit this HP, but I would genuinely have expected it to fit most stuff.

It's pretty standard for your desktops like you'd find in a school to have a proprietary PSU and motherboard, few reasons:
1) locks you in somewhat, when you want to upgrade you need to go and buy a whole new computer
2) the sorts of people that buy those sorts of computers generally aren't going to be upgrading anyway
3) form factor, you're not going to put your standard sort of power supply in, even a low wattage one, because it wouldn't fit the form factor, you're not looking at anything more than about 200W so you don't need anything beefy so a proprietary one is used to fit the case.

Stuff like RAM, CPUs, expansion cards, storage etc will still almost certainly be standard, but they're the things that are most likely to be customised and, bar the CPU, the things that an end user might realistically want to upgrade or change.
Reply 6
If it's an HP prebuilt from the last 10 years, it probably won't have a proprietary PSU - probably.

In most cases, a run of the mill PSU will do you fine for most setups. 500-600 Watts is the max for most people.

Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Original post by vetmed112
I don't have a camera, but it seems that you're correct about the 8 pin.... their might be a HP specific PSU in America, but I've asked on the HP forums. thanks for the help.. I'll probably buy a new pc and sell the HP

If it's possible, I'd recommend just getting a new PC, you can build your own (which is more fun, cheaper and typically better value for money) or you can get a prebuilt depending on how you want to use the PC (origin or chillblast for gaming etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending