The Student Room Group

teaching yourself Alevel science????

My college will not accept me to do a third year:eek: , but I need to improve my grades in order to get into the field of my choice at university. I have two options:
Retake exams externally- without going to class so ill have to teach myself.
Or
Go to a new college and just retake A2, however it is a different exam boards, therefore it will be different in some ways from what I’ve studied previously. (I am worried about the synoptic paper:confused: )

Appreciate any sort of advice given!!! Thank you!:yep:

P.S the subjects are bio and chem.
Reply 1
I would do it as an external candidate. As you have said, the syllabus may be different, and therefore the synoptic as well.

Which exam boards are you on??
Reply 2
dani2511
I would do it as an external candidate. As you have said, the syllabus may be different, and therefore the synoptic as well.

Which exam boards are you on??

I did OCR salters for chemistry and OCR biology
however if i change ill have to do AQA for both. :woo:
Retake exams with the same exam board as an external candidate. Self teaching wouldnt be very hard as you only need to improve your understanding in order to improve your grades.
From experience, I self-taught AS Chem and Phys and got As. You're probably fine on your own, just set aside time each week to learn/revise like you would any subject and you'll be fine.
Reply 5
Ignoramus
From experience, I self-taught AS Chem and Phys and got As. You're probably fine on your own, just set aside time each week to learn/revise like you would any subject and you'll be fine.

I think your right. But the thing is my mom thinks that I’ll lose motivation :frown: and not study every day. Did you work on your subjects every day? Like waking up early (around 8am and all that?)
thanks
Reply 6
Summer24
I did OCR salters for chemistry and OCR biology
however if i change ill have to do AQA for both. :woo:

The AQA exams are easier. (I know that difficulty is equal between exam boards) but my Brother did OCR Bio in Jan and got a U. Did not much more work and got a C with AQA

Latest