The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Diversity of nationalities at the University of Aberdeen

Hey guys,

I am an international student who is looking forward to studying in Aberdeen from September onwards. One reason for choosing Aberdeen was because of the great diversity of nationalities. I wanted to meet new friends from other cultures. But now I have been told by a friend who has a friend who lives in Scotland that there are many EU students at the University of Aberdeen, but only a few international students.

Is that really the case?

On the one hand, I do not want to be one of the only international students and, on the other hand, I also want to get to know people and cultures apart from Western Europe and the US. I am fascinated, for example, by Russia, Japan, China, but also by other countries.

Thanks, guys!
I mean, of course there are more European students than international students, because continental Europe is closer to the UK than the rest of the world is 😅 Also, studying in Scotland is free for EU students, so that's why many choose to study here.

But I don't think that European students are any less interesting than international students?
Also, there still are a lot of international students, specifically from Asia. But there is also a Russian society, a Ghanaian society, and many more, so there's definitely enough international students at Aberdeen.

I particularly met a lot of Americans and a lot of East Asians (apart from the Europeans).

Obviously it might be a little different this year, because many East Asians (and international students overall) might choose to study at Aberdeen remotely due to covid-19, but let's hope that it's all back to normal by next year.

Aberdeen itself has stated that there are students from over 130 nationalities represented on campus. Also, take a look at this: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/where-to-study/international-students-at-uk-universities
According to this, 20% of Aberdeen students are international - and honestly, it feels like a lot more. European students included, I had some tutorials with 15 people and only 2 were actually from Scotland.
Last term I had a tutorial with 8 people, 1 of them Scottish, and the rest were all different nationalities.

Obviously that's not always the case, but Aberdeen really is very international - European students included.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Also, I'd like to add that according to the link I posted, the only universities with more international students than Aberdeen are Imperial in London and the University of the Arts in London - which is quite impressive actually.
Reply 3
huh, i didn't realise aberdeeen was so diverse tbh
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Also, I'd like to add that according to the link I posted, the only universities with more international students than Aberdeen are Imperial in London and the University of the Arts in London - which is quite impressive actually.

Wow, crazy! I certainly didn‘t know that. I guess there‘s nothing to worry about.
Original post by Anonymous
Wow, crazy! I certainly didn‘t know that. I guess there‘s nothing to worry about.

I definitely wouldn't worry about it! Let's just hope that it's still that international in times of corona
It's true that it's pretty diverse, but at the same time consider the reason for this, as at least the people I met on my course were not the brightest of stars. I felt like the uni essentially takes anyone with a pulse, and I'm considering changing uni for this reason.
Does someone know how many RUK students there are?
If I was going to Aberdeen it would the pubs I'd be concerned about now, not the proportion of international students.
Where are you from ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending