The Student Room Group

Is paramedic science diverse?

I want to study paramedics at either Sheffield Hallam or Huddersfield. But I’ve never seen any POC in this course? Also, I’ve had a fair share of paramedics come to our house but I’ve never seen a POC in this role.
I was wondering how diverse the job and course really is. Do a lot of POC apply to the course?
Original post by MkhaStudent12
I want to study paramedics at either Sheffield Hallam or Huddersfield. But I’ve never seen any POC in this course? Also, I’ve had a fair share of paramedics come to our house but I’ve never seen a POC in this role.
I was wondering how diverse the job and course really is. Do a lot of POC apply to the course?

"According to the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC 2021) the paramedic profession has approximately five per cent black, Asian and other ethnic minority staff."

Taken from the following article: https://collegeofparamedics.co.uk/COP/News/2023/College_of_Paramedics_Launches_Video_to_Promote_Diversity_in_the_Paramedic_Profession
Reply 2
Original post by normaw

"According to the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC 2021) the paramedic profession has approximately five per cent black, Asian and other ethnic minority staff."

Taken from the following article: https://collegeofparamedics.co.uk/COP/News/2023/College_of_Paramedics_Launches_Video_to_Promote_Diversity_in_the_Paramedic_Profession

Woah.. that percentage sounds really low
Original post by MkhaStudent12

Hi,

Thank you for considering us as one of your choices.

Sheffield Hallam University is one of 39 institutions to become a member of the Race Equality Charter (REC), part of the Equality Challenge Unit. Nationally recognised, the charter promotes the representation, progress and success of black and minority ethnic (BAME) staff and students in the Higher Education sector.

Here is a page which provides information on our equality objectives, our values, and how Sheffield Hallam University is committed to advancing equality of opportunity, experience and outcome, ensuring that students and staff realise their full potential - Equality, diversity and inclusion

Sheffield itself is also an incredibly diverse city, and this is one of the things I love most about this city, with diverse foods and cultures.

As for the course, you may find it useful to attend one of our open days. This way you are able to speak with lecturers and current students, allowing you to feel more comfortable in your choice.

We have two upcoming applicant open days, taking place on Saturday the 23rd of March and Sunday the 28th of April.

You can book either of these here - Undergraduate applicant open days

For Paramedic science, there is also a session including an introductory talk and an interactive demonstration relating to teaching and research techniques. You can also go on a tour to experience our new Collegiate Wing simulated ward environment.

Please let me know if you have any questions related to the course or studying at Hallam.

Rosie
Sheffield Hallam Rep

Quick Reply

Latest