The Student Room Group

2021 entry applicants - Netherlands universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I applied to Dutch universities in 2019 but have since started at university in the UK. I vlogged my experience of choosing between the UK and the Netherlands, applying to Dutch Unis and why it did not work out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZWptImncmU&t=2s&ab_channel=ImogenWhite
Original post by Breward
I applied to Dutch universities in 2019 but have since started at university in the UK. I vlogged my experience of choosing between the UK and the Netherlands, applying to Dutch Unis and why it did not work out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZWptImncmU&t=2s&ab_channel=ImogenWhite

I watched your YouTube videos and they were great and very informative! I’m glad you found the right course for you in the end and are now happy at university! I wish you all the best with your course!
Reply 42
Original post by Gorganworgan
I watched your YouTube videos and they were great and very informative! I’m glad you found the right course for you in the end and are now happy at university! I wish you all the best with your course!

Ahh! Thank you. Glad you found them useful!
hey, is anyone applying to the liberal arts&sciences programmes at the university colleges? specifically anyone thinking of going into pre-med and Master's in medicine afterwards? or anyone applying to Bachelor's in medicine? :biggrin:
I would love to exchange experience and thoughts with others as I don't know too much about the application process to unis in the Netherlands!
Original post by VanillaCream
hey, is anyone applying to the liberal arts&sciences programmes at the university colleges? specifically anyone thinking of going into pre-med and Master's in medicine afterwards? or anyone applying to Bachelor's in medicine? :biggrin:
I would love to exchange experience and thoughts with others as I don't know too much about the application process to unis in the Netherlands!

Hi!! I applied to AUC just a couple weeks ago, in Social Sciences. Perhaps I can help with something :smile:
Original post by marfitoes
Hi!! I applied to AUC just a couple weeks ago, in Social Sciences. Perhaps I can help with something :smile:

hi! thank you! :smile:
did you get any response? I'm not sure how it works with the UCs, and is it like if you applied for Social Sciences, can you still choose some e.g. Life Sciences courses or if you chose this, you can only choose from those? I think it's different in some UCs so I'm not sure
hey! I feel so weird for posting os much on this Netherlands unis forum haha but I would really appreciate some advice in choosing where to apply because I can't decide really a sI don't know much about the universities
so we have 4 options in the studielink and soo I always thought I was going to apply for medicine, but I recently found the liberal arts & sciences programme and really liked it because I'm not 100% sure if medicine and being a doctor is what I want to do and I have some interestes outside of biology, chemistry and life sciences as well.
so I was thinking of choosing medicine at Groningen as one of the 4 choices and then 3 liberal arts & sciences, but I can't decide at which unis. sorry if that's weird to ask but not many of my friends are applying to the Netherlands and I'm kinda lost sicne I have to decide on my own :/

I would really appreciate your advice and which unis you chose and why :smile:
Hi!

I currently study in Groningen and have previously studied at a UK university (both Bachelor-level) so if anyone has any questions regarding either the Netherlands as a whole, the application process, or Groningen, please don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Original post by juststu-dying
Hi!

I currently study in Groningen and have previously studied at a UK university (both Bachelor-level) so if anyone has any questions regarding either the Netherlands as a whole, the application process, or Groningen, please don't hesitate to ask :smile:

hey! I just wanted to ask how do you like it there and what course are you studying?
hey! I just wanted to ask how do you like it there and what course are you studying?

Hi!

I study ELC at the faculty of arts, and while I won't say it has been perfect (it rarely is), I do really enjoy it! I like the university, and I haven't had any major issues - at least none that were not be solved. It took some getting used to, coming from a university in Scotland, but ok. I am currently applying for Masters, also at different universities, and they have been helpful in getting the documents that I need.
Hi!

Hi! Can i ask about the city? What is it like? What are some pros and cons? What is the city like during corona? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Catsarepurrfect
Hi! Can i ask about the city? What is it like? What are some pros and cons? What is the city like during corona? Thank you :smile:

Hello!

It's a real student city, and the faculty of arts for example is in the city center. I really like this, since it means you're close to everything. I don't know too much about Zernike, though, but the few times I have been there were nice, plus it's still not too far from the city (by bike or public transport). To be fair, since the city itself is not too big, most things are accessible by foot or cycle, and the rest of the Netherlands is easily reached by train. It has everything you need, and the nightlife is fun if that is your thing. If you prefer café's/coffee places, there's enough of those also! Also, because it's a student city - therefore quite international - most people speak English. During corona, it's a bit strange: the first few weeks I went home since everything was shut and we had a stay-at-home order, but it was getting busier again until all non-essential shops were closed a week ago. Since we mainly live in private housing, the situation depends, but my housemates all returned to the city at the start of the semester so I still had some kind of social contact :smile: It's definitely a bit less 'fun', but that is to be expected I guess. I guess a con would also be that it's a student city if that is not your thing? Also, you need to start looking for housing quite early on due to the shortage each year. Other than that, I don't have many cons (at least none that I can think of), since it has everything I need and there are nice places to walk (there are a few parks and the city itself is cute).

This was very basic, so if you have any particular thing you want to know, let me know!
Hello!

It's a real student city, and the faculty of arts for example is in the city center. I really like this, since it means you're close to everything. I don't know too much about Zernike, though, but the few times I have been there were nice, plus it's still not too far from the city (by bike or public transport). To be fair, since the city itself is not too big, most things are accessible by foot or cycle, and the rest of the Netherlands is easily reached by train. It has everything you need, and the nightlife is fun if that is your thing. If you prefer café's/coffee places, there's enough of those also! Also, because it's a student city - therefore quite international - most people speak English. During corona, it's a bit strange: the first few weeks I went home since everything was shut and we had a stay-at-home order, but it was getting busier again until all non-essential shops were closed a week ago. Since we mainly live in private housing, the situation depends, but my housemates all returned to the city at the start of the semester so I still had some kind of social contact :smile: It's definitely a bit less 'fun', but that is to be expected I guess. I guess a con would also be that it's a student city if that is not your thing? Also, you need to start looking for housing quite early on due to the shortage each year. Other than that, I don't have many cons (at least none that I can think of), since it has everything I need and there are nice places to walk (there are a few parks and the city itself is cute).

This was very basic, so if you have any particular thing you want to know, let me know!

Thank you so much! I would be studying psychology, so somewhere near the center :smile: do you by any chance know someone who is studying psychology? Do they like it? What do they say about the program? What about the ssh housing? Right now i am thinking about Blekerslaan house because it has ovens and at least some common room (which for example moestraat 8 does not have as far as i know) and it isn't a huge house. Is it a good choice? Are there any houses to avoid in particular?
Reply 53
https://applyingabroad.wixsite.com/home

My blog with advice and resources for students looking to study abroad in Europe (mainly UK, the Netherlands, Germany, and France)... its relatively new but I am pretty much always available on there updating Q&A and FAQ
Reply 54
What are the tuition fees like at universities in Netherlands?
Original post by Amin7
What are the tuition fees like at universities in Netherlands?

It depends on the degree! For RUG, a ''regular'' bachelor's degree for EU citizens is 2143, but degrees such as medicine are more expensive. A ''regular'' bachelor's degree for internationals is 10000, or 14800 at the faculty of science and engineering. I would suggest checking out the site of the uni you are interested in just to be sure :smile:
Original post by Catsarepurrfect
Thank you so much! I would be studying psychology, so somewhere near the center :smile: do you by any chance know someone who is studying psychology? Do they like it? What do they say about the program? What about the ssh housing? Right now i am thinking about Blekerslaan house because it has ovens and at least some common room (which for example moestraat 8 does not have as far as i know) and it isn't a huge house. Is it a good choice? Are there any houses to avoid in particular?

Hi!

Not entirely sure, but those who study psychology who I have met did like it. Regarding SSH, I don't know much, but the university has a student-led newspaper that reports on any and all issues that may concern students and I have seen SSH appear, so maybe check out UKrant! :smile: (It's in English as well)
It depends on the degree! For RUG, a ''regular'' bachelor's degree for EU citizens is 2143, but degrees such as medicine are more expensive. A ''regular'' bachelor's degree for internationals is 10000, or 14800 at the faculty of science and engineering. I would suggest checking out the site of the uni you are interested in just to be sure :smile:

actually medicine (for EU citizens) also costs 2,143, I think for the EU citizens only the liberal arts and sciences are a bit more expensive, ranging from 2,500 to 4,500 euro per year
actually medicine (for EU citizens) also costs 2,143, I think for the EU citizens only the liberal arts and sciences are a bit more expensive, ranging from 2,500 to 4,500 euro per year

Yes! Checked it, medicine is normal, only 'University College' is more expensive and is 4,250 :smile:
Hi!

Not entirely sure, but those who study psychology who I have met did like it. Regarding SSH, I don't know much, but the university has a student-led newspaper that reports on any and all issues that may concern students and I have seen SSH appear, so maybe check out UKrant! :smile: (It's in English as well)

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending