The Student Room Group

Would these be good uni options for Medicine with my stats???

GCSEs: All 9s in my 10 subjects
UCAT: 2860 Band 1
VR: 600
DM: 590
QR: 810
AR: 860
A level: A* in Biology, chemistry and mathematics
I don't qualify for contextual anywhere.

I'm thinking of applying to:
King's College London (still skeptical of this however)
Leicester
Hull York Medical School
University of East Anglia

Can anyone let me know if they think these are strategic options for my medical school application? Thank you!!
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question - or may be a better place to post your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by ellielonhy12345

Leicester
Hull York Medical School

Can anyone let me know if they think these are strategic options for my medical school application? Thank you!!

Firstly Congratulations on such amazing stats!
So, for Kings although your GCSEs and A levels would be perfect, your UCAT score falls a bit short unfortunately. If you use the 2021 application cycle as a guide, it tells us that the average UCAT score they interviewed was 2920, and the average UCAT of successful applicant was 2910. Here's a link to an excel sheet King's have on their website for stats of applicants, interviewed and successful: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/aboutkings/orgstructure/ps/acservices/admissions/admissions-statistics-2021.xlsx
If you really want to apply here and don't mind having one ambitious uni which is a bit of a risk, you might as well apply here. However if you don't want to waste one of your options, you might be better off finding another uni for which you have a better chance at interview.

For Leicester, 50% of the pre-interview score is formed using your top 8 GCSEs for which you would get full marks since you have all 9s. Then they assign points to each UCAT score, the maximum being 32. I used this link to find information about their UCAT stats: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/medicine_a100_admissions_statist_114#incoming-1887177
For 2021, the lowest UCAT score they interviewed was 2500, and the average was 2767 so you would have a very good chance at getting an interview.

For Hull York, they again use both GCSEs and UCAT score and SJT to make interview offers. So you would score max points for GCSEs, and for the SJT section but what they have said about UCAT scores is this "We do not look for a specific score to be achieved, but instead, rank you in numerical order and invite the top scoring applicants to interview.” There isn't a specific average disclosed but on 6med they said they interview scores of 2500-2600, but from my own experience this maybe inaccurate as my last year application with a score of 2550 didn't get an interview. But, again with your UCAT score and GCSEs you have a strong chance at an interview

For UEA they use GCSE results to shortlist candidates but to be honest with you for your GCSEs you don't have to worry much about the academic score as it will be full marks anyway. Then they use UCAT and for 2021 entry, the average UCAT of interviewed candidates was 2700. The lowest UCAT score receiving an interview was 1970, as stated by the medic mind website.

Another safer choice uni I'd recommend would be Manchester: You definitely exceed their Academic Criteria (AAA at A level) and their ucat cut off for 2022 was 2730, with the average interviewed being 2826 so you have good chances at an interview. At the interview they really like to get to know the person, including their hobbies, interests and they like candidates with extra curriculars so if that sounds like you, maybe consider it.

Hope this information helped :smile:

Leicester
Hull York Medical School

Can anyone let me know if they think these are strategic options for my medical school application? Thank you!!Im

Im afraid that you wont get in anywhere, you dont have NCS or DOF gold, I suggest you study something like geology or art.
Reply 4
My son’s stats are pretty much the same, but advice seemed to be that King’s would be ok. Have I missed a huge jump in UCAT cutoff last year? Annoyingly all the ones he likes seem to be quite high cut offs : Sheffield, King’s, Leeds… looking for one more. But Leeds is unknown and if King’s AND Sheffield risky, he needs a safe other.
Frustrating that it’s so opaque.
Reply 5

Leicester
Hull York Medical School

Those choices all look fine. Well done with your excellent stats

Original post by ava140903
Firstly Congratulations on such amazing stats!
So, for Kings although your GCSEs and A levels would be perfect, your UCAT score falls a bit short unfortunately. If you use the 2021 application cycle as a guide, it tells us that the average UCAT score they interviewed was 2920, and the average UCAT of successful applicant was 2910. Here's a link to an excel sheet King's have on their website for stats of applicants, interviewed and successful: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/aboutkings/orgstructure/ps/acservices/admissions/admissions-statistics-2021.xlsx
If you really want to apply here and don't mind having one ambitious uni which is a bit of a risk, you might as well apply here. However if you don't want to waste one of your options, you might be better off finding another uni for which you have a better chance at interview.

For Leicester, 50% of the pre-interview score is formed using your top 8 GCSEs for which you would get full marks since you have all 9s. Then they assign points to each UCAT score, the maximum being 32. I used this link to find information about their UCAT stats: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/medicine_a100_admissions_statist_114#incoming-1887177
For 2021, the lowest UCAT score they interviewed was 2500, and the average was 2767 so you would have a very good chance at getting an interview.

For Hull York, they again use both GCSEs and UCAT score and SJT to make interview offers. So you would score max points for GCSEs, and for the SJT section but what they have said about UCAT scores is this "We do not look for a specific score to be achieved, but instead, rank you in numerical order and invite the top scoring applicants to interview.” There isn't a specific average disclosed but on 6med they said they interview scores of 2500-2600, but from my own experience this maybe inaccurate as my last year application with a score of 2550 didn't get an interview. But, again with your UCAT score and GCSEs you have a strong chance at an interview

For UEA they use GCSE results to shortlist candidates but to be honest with you for your GCSEs you don't have to worry much about the academic score as it will be full marks anyway. Then they use UCAT and for 2021 entry, the average UCAT of interviewed candidates was 2700. The lowest UCAT score receiving an interview was 1970, as stated by the medic mind website.

Another safer choice uni I'd recommend would be Manchester: You definitely exceed their Academic Criteria (AAA at A level) and their ucat cut off for 2022 was 2730, with the average interviewed being 2826 so you have good chances at an interview. At the interview they really like to get to know the person, including their hobbies, interests and they like candidates with extra curriculars so if that sounds like you, maybe consider it.

Hope this information helped :smile:

Leicester publish all their stats, including cut offs for interview, on their website.

UEA stopped using GCSEs beyond minimum requirements maybe 3 years ago. It is a straight UCAT cut off now nad they use UCAT as 50% of post-interview scoring, with OP being above their historical offer holder average, so they will have some leeway in interview performance, and for 2022, 86% of those with UCAT 2800-2890 got an offer.

Be wary of "lowest UCAT interviewed" stats, as that may be 1 person with significant ExCircs. Manchester also publish their cut offs on their website and it was about 2750, or a bit less via the holistic route (so still OK if OP fancied it, but not safer than the others for an offer)
Reply 6
Hi, I just feel very lost and would appreciate any advice. 🙂
I'm a y13 student wishing to apply to medicine and I just need some suggestions for where to apply giving my UCAT score.
My stats:
9999998876 (7 in art and 6 in geography)
*got 5 at English Language first time as the exam was 2 days after the loss of my grandpa, with a resit I managed to bring it up to an 8*
A*AA predicted, will try to bring the A in chemistry to an A*
UCAT 2500 B1 ☹️, tbh I feel destroyed, never ever got that score in my practice and I was averaging 2900
WP/contextual

I was thinking about Keele, Sunderland, Cardiff, Leicester, Aston.
Thx for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending