The Student Room Group

Help! Changed my mind about degree course after gap year!

Writing on behalf of my daughter. She took a gap year and is supposed to attend St Andrews University in September. Unfortunately, it appears she's changed her mind about career choices.
She made her UCAS application in 2021, and then deferred entry with the agreement of the university. Can she still apply through clearing for a new course and university? Asking urgently because A levels results would be out in a few days and clearing would be open.
Reply 1
Which course and which universities interest her?
Reply 2
She's thinking of doing a degree in Immersive Systems Design at the University of Glasgow and she's currently scheduled to do International Relations at St Andrew's.
Original post by denebola
Writing on behalf of my daughter. She took a gap year and is supposed to attend St Andrews University in September. Unfortunately, it appears she's changed her mind about career choices.
She made her UCAS application in 2021, and then deferred entry with the agreement of the university. Can she still apply through clearing for a new course and university? Asking urgently because A levels results would be out in a few days and clearing would be open.

Hi there :hello:

Yes, if her chosen course is in Clearing on results day (or before then, if she's got her grades already and is in a position to meet the conditions) then she can apply for it. Did she apply in 2022/23, or did she defer an offer from 2021/22? This will affect the mechanics of how the process works.

Note that to enter clearing she will need to relinquish her current offer at St Andrews - and that is not a reversible process. UCAS doesn't let you have your cake and eat it too unfortunately!
Reply 5
She deferred from 2021/22.

Original post by Saracen's Fez
Hi there :hello:

Yes, if her chosen course is in Clearing on results day (or before then, if she's got her grades already and is in a position to meet the conditions) then she can apply for it. Did she apply in 2022/23, or did she defer an offer from 2021/22? This will affect the mechanics of how the process works.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Note that to enter clearing she will need to relinquish her current offer at St Andrews - and that is not a reversible process. UCAS doesn't let you have your cake and eat it too unfortunately!

Can she however contact Glasgow University to see if they have vacancies before relinquishing her existing offer? Does she need to contact UCAS? Her UCAS application dates from 21 months, and I'm not sure if she deferred through UCAS or through contacting St Andrew's University.
Can she however contact Glasgow University to see if they have vacancies before relinquishing her existing offer? Does she need to contact UCAS? Her UCAS application dates from 21 months, and I'm not sure if she deferred through UCAS or through contacting St Andrew's University.

Yes she can call up in clearing, although she won't be able to go on UCAS and add the uni if she gets a verbal offer until she has relinquished that offer. My understanding is the process for that is once the offer is showing as unconditional on UCAS, there should be an option to reject all offers - that will allow her to self-release into clearing (doesn't require contacting St Andrews or UCAS).

Bear in mind verbal offers through clearing are time limited and clearing moves fast, so she'll need to plan to get up before the clearing lines open, have all the information at hand, call up the uni and see if they have the course, then get the verbal offer if she meets the requirements. Then will need to log into UCAS, self release into clearing, add the offer on UCAS hub and then Glasgow will confirm it.

Clearing is a lot easier to manage if prepared for it! :smile:
She deferred from 2021/22.

Ok so if she wants to apply via Clearing this will technically mean making a fresh application, which means paying the application fee for 2022/23 as this hasn't been paid yet.

In practice if the course is on offer in Clearing then she can seek to apply afresh, though it means giving up the StA place. Glasgow (or anywhere else) should make public if the course is in Clearing, but it's not clear how far unis will let you get with an enquiry without a Clearing number, which you can only get when you (irreversibly) decline your existing place.
Reply 9
Thanks a lot, that was really helpful.

Original post by Saracen's Fez
Ok so if she wants to apply via Clearing this will technically mean making a fresh application, which means paying the application fee for 2022/23 as this hasn't been paid yet.

In practice if the course is on offer in Clearing then she can seek to apply afresh, though it means giving up the StA place. Glasgow (or anywhere else) should make public if the course is in Clearing, but it's not clear how far unis will let you get with an enquiry without a Clearing number, which you can only get when you (irreversibly) decline your existing place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending