The Student Room Group

Can I go into PR with International Relations Major

Hey, I want to go into public relations. I wanted to study IR because it interests me and SO many people already study communications and Public Relations.
Is International Relations a good major for PR? Could I do a master after IR? Thanks!
Yes - PR jobs don't have specific degree requirements, have a look here: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/public-relations-officer
Having work experience/internships is probably more important than the degree you've done, and you can always do a Master's in PR, so do what you want to!

My dad has ended up in PR after an IR degree and PhD (and a career as a journalist), so it's definitely possible lol.
Reply 2
Original post by becausethenight
Yes - PR jobs don't have specific degree requirements, have a look here: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/public-relations-officer
Having work experience/internships is probably more important than the degree you've done, and you can always do a Master's in PR, so do what you want to!

My dad has ended up in PR after an IR degree and PhD (and a career as a journalist), so it's definitely possible lol.

Hi, thanks for your answer! That´s helpful :biggrin: Do you know whether it´s a nice career, like, from what you hear? Because I find A LOT of different statements on the internet, but who knows who actually works there. And, did your Dad do a Phd in International Relations or PR?
Original post by ninjacaty
Hi, thanks for your answer! That´s helpful :biggrin: Do you know whether it´s a nice career, like, from what you hear? Because I find A LOT of different statements on the internet, but who knows who actually works there. And, did your Dad do a Phd in International Relations or PR?

Well, it’s definitely a busy career - if a client’s story has been leaked or they want advice ASAP, you have to get on with it! My dad often has to take calls at random hours, and a missed email is practically a sin - I imagine it’s worse when you’re more junior. He really enjoys it, though as there’s a lot of human interest (you get very weird stories), it’s varied, and you have to keep your wits about you. I can’t really comment on the ins and outs of the job, but he hasn’t had any horror stories (although he does seem to expect junior staff to “put up and shut up”, ie just do loads of work and accept that they still have a lot to learn, so again, I think you get worked pretty hard). There’s also a lot of opportunities for travel, as far as I can tell, and people join from diverse sectors and leave to go into various things, so if you changed your mind you’d still be able to do other stuff I think. This is all anecdotal, btw :smile:

My dad’s PhD is in IR (something about U.K. arms sales) - PR wasn’t really the goal, more a mid-life career change!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending