The Student Room Group

uk law student wanting to become a lawyer in singapore

i am only in college so i haven't started university yet. I plan to apply to law in uni and if possible, transfer later into one of the unis accepted by singapore (birmingham, warwick etc) (just incase i dont get into one of those unis first try). And then do the singapore law exam. Is that a good idea? I do not have a singapore citizenship
Reply 1
Original post by jiajia16
i am only in college so i haven't started university yet. I plan to apply to law in uni and if possible, transfer later into one of the unis accepted by singapore (birmingham, warwick etc) (just incase i dont get into one of those unis first try). And then do the singapore law exam. Is that a good idea? I do not have a singapore citizenship

(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by username6359343

Have you looked into the Singapore bar admission requirements? I presume you are aware that only Singapore citizens or permanent residents can be called to the Singapore bar (https://www.sile.edu.sg/eligibility-requirements#:~:text=To%20apply%20to%20sit%20for,Singapore%20citizen%20or%20permanent%20resident)? You can apply for an exemption (and if you are seriously considering this route you should write to the Ministry of Law and ask them what your chances are) but I doubt it would be granted for a fresh Law graduate given that there's already a glut of Law students in Singapore.

If you are a PR and your goal is to apply for Singapore training contracts, you really need to be aiming for the approved universities. Even if you do transfer successfully, you'd have to start over from year 1 (or apply for an exemption) because the course of study must be 3 or more academic years (https://www.sile.edu.sg/united-kingdom-approved-universities).

If you are not a PR, your only chance is getting an England & Wales training contract at an international law firm because Singaporean law firms simply cannot take you. There's only a handful of E&W TCs and competition is intense.

If you are fluent in Mandarin (and to a lesser extent, Cantonese), Hong Kong is an easier market to break into for internationals with no ties at entry level - their legal industry is far less protectionist compared to Singapore. Alternatively, qualify and work for a few years in the UK first, and then either apply for an internal transfer or to lateral positions in Singapore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending