The Student Room Group

Need Masters degree advice, running out of time

I'm from Indonesia, and I have a bachelor's degree on International Relations from a reputable degree in my country. Unfortunately, I feel dissatisfied with my degree (or perhaps, myself), because I feel like I did not learn any specific practical skills that will make me stand out to employers. The only IR-specific jobs I'm interested in applying to is either applying to an embassy or, ASEAN (the organization, or other sub-organizations related to them). Other than that, I've been trying to narrow my jobs search to consultant jobs, administrative jobs, or working in media

I'm currently wracking my brain on what sort of masters degree I should take that would fit my bachelors at least somewhat well and will help me learn practical skills. Right now, I'm torn between International Business, Data Science/Data Analysis, or Communications/Journalism. I need to make a decision soon because registration for LPDP (our national scholarship program) has opened, and I need to write a study plan as to why I want to go to a specific major and university. I only have three weeks as of writing this question.

I don't think I can afford to wait and apply to LPDP's second wave in the middle of the year, because I'm (understandably) being pressured by my parents to either obtain a LoA or a job. As for which universities I'm interested in applying to, I'm leaning towards the University of Melbourne and UNSW. I have a GPA of 3.45 and an IELTS of 7.5. Not sure if that's gonna make the cut.
Original post by LavenderMusharna
I'm from Indonesia, and I have a bachelor's degree on International Relations from a reputable degree in my country. Unfortunately, I feel dissatisfied with my degree (or perhaps, myself), because I feel like I did not learn any specific practical skills that will make me stand out to employers. The only IR-specific jobs I'm interested in applying to is either applying to an embassy or, ASEAN (the organization, or other sub-organizations related to them). Other than that, I've been trying to narrow my jobs search to consultant jobs, administrative jobs, or working in media

I'm currently wracking my brain on what sort of masters degree I should take that would fit my bachelors at least somewhat well and will help me learn practical skills. Right now, I'm torn between International Business, Data Science/Data Analysis, or Communications/Journalism. I need to make a decision soon because registration for LPDP (our national scholarship program) has opened, and I need to write a study plan as to why I want to go to a specific major and university. I only have three weeks as of writing this question.

I don't think I can afford to wait and apply to LPDP's second wave in the middle of the year, because I'm (understandably) being pressured by my parents to either obtain a LoA or a job. As for which universities I'm interested in applying to, I'm leaning towards the University of Melbourne and UNSW. I have a GPA of 3.45 and an IELTS of 7.5. Not sure if that's gonna make the cut.

Well, I don't recommend doing a degree for the sake of doing a degree.

What do you intend to do after university? Don't say any high paying job. That's redundant. What sort of job are you looking for? Have you looked at the entry requirements for the job for the country that you want to work in? If the job doesn't specifically require a degree or a degree in a specific subject, then doing another degree is redundant.

I am not sure whether Indonesia has a central website for job profiles, but Australia has one. See:
https://www.yourcareer.gov.au/occupations
Look through the job profiles for the sort of work that you want to do and see what sort of degree they require. I would recommend doing this for jobs in Indonesia as well. If possible, please also let me know what a similar site for Indonesia as well (I'm having difficulty finding such sites)

As far as I know, you don't need a degree to go into business, data science, international relations, or journalism in any country anywhere in the world (if they do, do correct me on this).
Furthermore, a degree in any subject can often be used to go into a variety of fields, not just the one that you studied in e.g. some roles in accounting and finance, marketing, writing, business, teaching, IT, etc. I would check the entry requirements for the jobs in your country to be sure though.
Thank you for the response! I tried looking something like this up for Indonesia, and the closest thing I can find is the Ministry of Labor's SIAPKerja website, which is a "one stop shop" for anything job-related from job openings to getting certifications. Not sure if it's the same as the Australian website you posted where it's more explaining the qualifications required for specific jobs though

Here is the site (Indonesian language only) https://kemnaker.go.id/
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by LavenderMusharna
Thank you for the response! I tried looking something like this up for Indonesia, and the closest thing I can find is the Ministry of Labor's SIAPKerja website, which is a "one stop shop" for anything job-related from job openings to getting certifications. Not sure if it's the same as the Australian website you posted where it's more explaining the qualifications required for specific jobs though

Here is the site (Indonesian language only) https://kemnaker.go.id/

Thanks for the link. As I can't get the translation for the website and my Indonesian is lacking, I don't think I can do much more to help.

If you want me to help regarding entry requirements for work in English speaking countries, then I would be able to help more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending