The Student Room Group

Can someone averagely good at maths and no CS experience be good at data science?

I am a recent economics graduate, and I was wondering if you were honestly to say, is it feasible for someone with an average understanding of maths but no real experience programming become accustomed with data science. I was contemplating in 6 months to start a MSc in data science, but am worried about not being able to cope.
Reply 1
Being average at maths and not having any programming experience would make me question why you want to do a data science degree - how do you know you want to do data science if you are not comfortable with the two main subjects that it relies on?

Surely being interested in something like data science would mean you would be keen to get better at maths/programming?
Reply 2
Original post by harper_
Being average at maths and not having any programming experience would make me question why you want to do a data science degree - how do you know you want to do data science if you are not comfortable with the two main subjects that it relies on?

Surely being interested in something like data science would mean you would be keen to get better at maths/programming?

I am, I'm saying like I obviously am not oblivious to programming, have used r and python in research projects etc. I enjoyed econometrics during my time, meaning I used statistics at a fairly high degree in my opinion. So I think my skillset is not so far out there. I did maths further maths so with a bit of freshening up, I believe I could do it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending