The Student Room Group

Online Masters in Computer Science - University of Keele

I chanced upon this via google, i think it's very new. their first class starts in Jan 2021.

https://online.keele.ac.uk/online-programme/msc-computer-science/

I've emailed them to ask some questions, like how will the mods be taught, and how much coding is involved.

waiting to hear back. will update for anyone interested.

Scroll to see replies

They're not the first one to offer this. I think York was among the firsts (There's a thread specifically for it. Keele's is probably similar so you can check that thread). Wrexham and Sunderland also offer this.
Reply 2
This looks interesting, and it's half the price of the one at Bath uni.
I've applied for the online MSc Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence course at Keele University... I'm waiting to hear back :smile:
Original post by SukySuky
I chanced upon this via google, i think it's very new. their first class starts in Jan 2021.

https://online.keele.ac.uk/online-programme/msc-computer-science/

I've emailed them to ask some questions, like how will the mods be taught, and how much coding is involved.

waiting to hear back. will update for anyone interested.

Hi, yes any additional info to what's already on the website would be very interesting. Thanks
Reply 5
The degree focuses more on web development as it has UI design and web programming modules. They told me only accept max 25 students For each intake.

For the AI stream they have a module for Math and a module for AI application. Beside the 2 modules the others are mainly about web development, software engineering and project management. I have asked the degree leader and he mentioned they don't have module descriptors yet. The mode of delivery is recorded lectures and tutorials.
Reply 6
Original post by jasperdean7
I've applied for the online MSc Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence course at Keele University... I'm waiting to hear back :smile:

I have applied too and got offers from both Keele, Wrexham and Sunderland.
Although they don't have module descriptors, from the description I think Keele's program is more into Web technology. Only 2 modules related to AI (Math for AI and AI Application). Since I am in the field of BI so I will go for Sunderland's MSc in CS with Data Science as it is more relevant to me. Half of modules are about data science and big data which suit my needs.
Reply 7
Can I check how did everyone arrive at which course they'd ultimately be enrolled in?
I get that Keele is a higher ranking school and has a more project based approach, however the course is not accredited by BCS.
While Sunderland on the other hand is much lower in terms of ranking, theoretical in approach and the course is BCS accredited.
I've not seen Wrexham's course information but it seems like it is BCS accredited also.
Does accreditation matter? It's an especially important thing to have for US degrees, but I'm not sure about in the UK.
When I applied, only Bath, York and Wrexham offered it. York actually rejected my application. Wrexham's is half the cost of Bath's and the Bath course takes more than 2 years to complete so I chose Wrexham.

It lacks the practical stuff though so I am taking the PG Diploma Data Science from Emeritus at the same time.
Reply 9
Original post by 0n0ono
Can I check how did everyone arrive at which course they'd ultimately be enrolled in?
I get that Keele is a higher ranking school and has a more project based approach, however the course is not accredited by BCS.
While Sunderland on the other hand is much lower in terms of ranking, theoretical in approach and the course is BCS accredited.
I've not seen Wrexham's course information but it seems like it is BCS accredited also.
Does accreditation matter? It's an especially important thing to have for US degrees, but I'm not sure about in the UK.

Actually, ranking is not my main concern. I am not in the UK and working overseas. Unless you graduated from a top 10 UK university otherwise most of the local employers don't care about which university it is. You will eventually need to go through some technical tests throughout the interview and that's what they care.

As I mentioned previously, I chose Sunderland is because it is more data science related and it fits my goal. Keele doesn't allow you to take both AI and Data Visualisaton. You have to choose either one of them. If you choose AI then your degree will be MSc Computer Science with AI while if you choose Data Visualisation it will become MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics. In Sunderland I can do both Machine Learning and Visualistion and 2 more modules related to data science and big data.

The good thing for Keele is there are a few modules for web development such as UI design. If you are interested in web development then it is great. As I remember correctly there is also a module about Mathematics for AI. Since I have done linear algebra, statistics and multivariable calculus in my undergraduate so I do not need this. But it is good to build your foundation if you are not from a quantitative background.
Reply 10
Original post by reyjusuf
When I applied, only Bath, York and Wrexham offered it. York actually rejected my application. Wrexham's is half the cost of Bath's and the Bath course takes more than 2 years to complete so I chose Wrexham.

It lacks the practical stuff though so I am taking the PG Diploma Data Science from Emeritus at the same time.

After I read all the bad comments on the York program I didn't even apply to it.

The Emeritus PG diploma in Data Science seems popular. How did you find about the program? It seems offered by an Indian company but the popup ads always mentioned some famous names such as Columbia University. As I remember correctly it cost around 3000 US which I think is quite a lot. Is it similar to datacamp or coursera?
Original post by hachin1
After I read all the bad comments on the York program I didn't even apply to it.

The Emeritus PG diploma in Data Science seems popular. How did you find about the program? It seems offered by an Indian company but the popup ads always mentioned some famous names such as Columbia University. As I remember correctly it cost around 3000 US which I think is quite a lot. Is it similar to datacamp or coursera?

I found it on a Facebook ad. It is similar to IBM's Data Science from Coursera but more structured and the tutors have office hours via zoom every week. and respond to message board discussions. I think a PG Diploma will carry more weight than a Coursera certificate which is why I am taking it.
Reply 12
Original post by reyjusuf
I found it on a Facebook ad. It is similar to IBM's Data Science from Coursera but more structured and the tutors have office hours via zoom every week. and respond to message board discussions. I think a PG Diploma will carry more weight than a Coursera certificate which is why I am taking it.

Good to know. I saw the same ad in Facebook too. If I remember correctly it is offered by a Indian company calls Emeritus. I think the main benefit is there are tutors for you to ask questions.
Reply 13
I did some research before I made my decision to accept which offer. If you guys are interested in Keele's program here are the module specifications:
Design and Programming
https://www.keele.ac.uk/catalogue/current/csc-40044.htm
User Interaction Design
https://www.keele.ac.uk/catalogue/current/csc-40043.htm

Statistical Techniques for Data Analytics and Databases
https://www.keele.ac.uk/catalogue/current/csc-40042.htm
Web Technologies and Security
https://www.keele.ac.uk/catalogue/current/csc-40046.htm
Research and Consultancy Skills
https://www.keele.ac.uk/catalogue/current/csc-40050.htm
Mathematics for AI and Data Science
https://www.keele.ac.uk/catalogue/current/csc-40072.htm
Applications of AI, Machine Learning and Data Science
https://www.keele.ac.uk/catalogue/current/csc-40070.htm

I cannot find the Software Engineering with Group Project module. Similar to Wrexham and Sunderland programs, most modules do not require an exam. The assessment mainly based on Projects, essays and assignments.
Reply 14
Thanks for all the responses! I've received offers from the different schools and ultimately decided to be going with Sunderland too :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by 0n0ono
Thanks for all the responses! I've received offers from the different schools and ultimately decided to be going with Sunderland too :smile:

Good to hear that!
Hope to see you in Canvas sometimes in the future. Which program did you choose? MSc in Computer Science, MSc in Computer Science with Cyber security or MSc in Computer Science with Data Science?
Reply 16
I applied prior to my post and I'm in MSc CS w/ DS! I guess we'll be classmates! Looking forward to studying with ya!!
Reply 17
Original post by 0n0ono
I applied prior to my post and I'm in MSc CS w/ DS! I guess we'll be classmates! Looking forward to studying with ya!!

Yeah, we are in the same course! Lucky to find a classmate here. I am looking forward to studying with you too.

The first module will start in 3 weeks. It is the CETM70 Computer Science Principles and Practice. According to the Module Descriptor, the textbook is Rosen's Discrete Mathematics and its Applications. I am feeling excited about it. I think it is great to take such a discrete math and algorithm module before we move on. It helps us to build a foundation. Let's see how it goes eventually!
Original post by 0n0ono

Congratultions!
If you have any questions about the course or next steps, please do not hesitate to reach out :smile:
Reply 19
Did anyone successfully paid the tuition fee of the first module of Sunderland's online MSc Computer Science? The myApplication portal sucks and I couldn't make my payment after weeks of trying. They said they are working on it with the IT team. Ironically, it is a CS degree and I couldn't make my payment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending