The Student Room Group

Is learning JavaScript a waste of my time?

Basically, i'm a first year Game Design student studying in the North of the UK.

In Game Design, the only programming language we use, is C# for the Unity Game Engine.

I've spent the last few months practising by making small games, yet I have no idea how to program outside of a game engine, which means I basically know nothing.

When I started looking up ways to learn programming without making games, I saw a lot of Tutorials for JavaScript, and how to make apps. I really love scripting in C#, so I feel I would have so much fun spending the Summer scripting apps and stuff in Java, and learning how the language works!

Would this be a waste of my time as a Games Design student? I feel like I should be spending 3 years of my degree learning a Game Engine, not doing something that the Programming course is doing.

(The reason I didn't choose a programming course is because I didn't know how much i'd love it, I love puzzles and coding is one massive puzzle).

I've tried about 2 hours of JavaScript and it's great fun, since I can transfer some of my C# knowledge too it.

Thanks for Reading, hope someone can help my situation!
Reply 1
The most useful thing you can do is to ensure you have a strong understand of programming principles and OOP.

This is arguably more important than learning another language.

If you have a good understanding of principles, it should be relatively straight forward to pick up another language and start using it.

There is no harm in learn another "Language" but remember JavaScript is a different type of language.

I would recommend you learn how to make desktop application using C# maybe a calculator as something simple to start with, or a clock with timer because you will then need to improving the transitions of the second hand and making it look smooth.

I don't think learning to programme and enhance your skills would ever be a bad idea, What happens when the game engine you are using is no longer used, you will need to learn a new one.
Original post by Snarez
Basically, i'm a first year Game Design student studying in the North of the UK.

In Game Design, the only programming language we use, is C# for the Unity Game Engine.

I've spent the last few months practising by making small games, yet I have no idea how to program outside of a game engine, which means I basically know nothing.

When I started looking up ways to learn programming without making games, I saw a lot of Tutorials for JavaScript, and how to make apps. I really love scripting in C#, so I feel I would have so much fun spending the Summer scripting apps and stuff in Java, and learning how the language works!

Would this be a waste of my time as a Games Design student? I feel like I should be spending 3 years of my degree learning a Game Engine, not doing something that the Programming course is doing.

(The reason I didn't choose a programming course is because I didn't know how much i'd love it, I love puzzles and coding is one massive puzzle).

I've tried about 2 hours of JavaScript and it's great fun, since I can transfer some of my C# knowledge too it.

Thanks for Reading, hope someone can help my situation!

Learning a new language is almost never a waste of time, both in terms of becoming a better programmer and in terms of a stronger CV. There is no "one true language" that rules in every situation so don't paint yourself into a corner by just sticking with one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending