The Student Room Group

C++, Rust or Go? Programming Languages to explore career paths

Hullo,
I've been interested for a while in getting into the IT sector (specifically coding/programming). My knowledge at the moment of the career paths are quite limited, as I'm currently only used to Python and intermediate JavaScript, though am learning Java.

So, I'm not really sure what part of coding and everything interests me the most yet. I'm really interested in exploring the pathways possible, and it seems that C++, Rust and Go might be suited for this purpose. Really, I just want a language that's different from the one's I formerly listed, so I'd be really grateful for any advice.
I have noted a few other questions similar to this on other forums, but it'd be interesting to see if perspectives have changed/other recommendations.

Thank you! Appreciate any advice :biggrin:
Original post by {Moss}
Hullo,
I've been interested for a while in getting into the IT sector (specifically coding/programming). My knowledge at the moment of the career paths are quite limited, as I'm currently only used to Python and intermediate JavaScript, though am learning Java.

So, I'm not really sure what part of coding and everything interests me the most yet. I'm really interested in exploring the pathways possible, and it seems that C++, Rust and Go might be suited for this purpose. Really, I just want a language that's different from the one's I formerly listed, so I'd be really grateful for any advice.
I have noted a few other questions similar to this on other forums, but it'd be interesting to see if perspectives have changed/other recommendations.

Thank you! Appreciate any advice :biggrin:

Note: I am learning programming, and not an expert in any of them

C++ and Rust are both object oriented and are general purpose languages. I would look into C++ more because it's a more widely used language (something like third or fourth to Python and Javascript), as well as used in Unreal engines.
Go is technically a simpler language but not necessarily object oriented, and it's said to be used in backend.

If you are looking for a solid backend language, Python alone should be enough, but Java, C++, Rust, or Go would more than complement what you already have,

If you are looking for something that's substantially different from what you already know and easy to pick up, then pick up Go.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Note: I am learning programming, and not an expert in any of them

C++ and Rust are both object oriented and are general purpose languages. I would look into C++ more because it's a more widely used language (something like third or fourth to Python and Javascript), as well as used in Unreal engines.
Go is technically a simpler language but not necessarily object oriented, and it's said to be used in backend.

If you are looking for a solid backend language, Python alone should be enough, but Java, C++, Rust, or Go would more than complement what you already have,

If you are looking for something that's substantially different from what you already know and easy to pick up, then pick up Go.

That's really helpful, thanks so much! Appreciate it, I'll definitely be having a more detailed look at Go from what you've said :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending