The Student Room Group

Only got a Pass in Masters

Hey everyone, So I have just got back some results, and basically i'm locked in getting just a pass (between 50% and 60%) for my masters in mathematical finance. I do kinda regret doing this degree months ago since I didnt really like it in honesty, I got a good 2:1 in my undergraduate physics with astrophysics and infact im more interested and passionate in physics and engineering (I have plans to maybe possibly go back to do a masters in aerospace engineering in a few years since I am passionate about that when I have the money for it) . Doing this maths course was different and I didnt enjoy it. So having these grades, do u think its an big deal in finding jobs? Part of my grand plan is to get a job and make money for a few years to finance future courses or whatever. Thats my biggest concern is being rejected by jobs since I only got a pass and I know finance is a competitive field. Anyone got any experience or know anyone who got similar to me.Thanks for any comments.
Reply 1
Erm its rather hard to say depending on what jobs and where you apply.
On the one hand having a good UG grade and a masters will put you above those just with a bachelors, on the other having a middling grade at the masters isnt going to open as many doors as it could otherwise.
You could always just muddy the waters, if possible, and neglect to mention the grade if you feel like it though i guess?
Reply 2
Repeat after me:

NO_ONE_CARES_ABOUT_YOUR_MASTER'S_GRADES (other than you, TSR geeks who play The Cambridge College Hurt/Heal "Game", and the uni's admissions team during a possible PhD application).

After your first couple of jobs no one will care about your 2:1 either...
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sentenced_to
Repeat after me:

NO_ONE_CARES_ABOUT_YOUR_MASTER'S_GRADES (other than you, TSR geeks who play The Cambridge College Hurt/Heal "Game", and the uni's admissions team during a possible PhD application).

After your first couple of jobs no one will care about your 2:1 either...

Cheers for the words, I forgot I posted this but yeah i've stopped feeling sorry for myself!
Its only really an issue if you want to apply for PhD funding. For jobs? Perhaps not so much as long as you can demonstrate the skillsets you're willing to offer to prospective employers.
Hi, I was wondering how are you doing now? Any updates? Did the masters ultimately affect your job prospects?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending