The Student Room Group

Compensation vs resit

Hello, I failed one of my modules in second year but I’ve been granted compensation for it hence I don’t need to resit it. However, I still have the option to resit it so I was wondering if there was any point in going through with the resit since I would be capped anyway. Would either affect any future prospects such as applying for a masters or jobs etc??
Original post by skrub28
Hello, I failed one of my modules in second year but I’ve been granted compensation for it hence I don’t need to resit it. However, I still have the option to resit it so I was wondering if there was any point in going through with the resit since I would be capped anyway. Would either affect any future prospects such as applying for a masters or jobs etc??

To answer that question you'd need to work out what your mark for the year would be with compensation (when the mark you obtained will stand, but will be treated as a pass) compared to what it would be with a capped mark. If the difference between the two is trivial, then it might not be worth it. However, if the difference could ultimately put you over a degree classification boundary at the end of year 3, then it might be.

Typically, you'd need to have scored at least 30% for compensation to apply, and typically would only be available for 20 or perhaps 30 credits. So let's assume your course has 6 modules in year 2, each worth 20 credits and that you scored 60% in each of the others. Let's also assume that you achieved 30% in the failed module and that it would be capped at 40% if you resat it.

With compensation, your average for the year would be (30+60+60+60+60+60) / 6 = 55.0%
With a capped resit, your average for the year would be (40+60+60+60+60+60) / 6 = 56.7%

Is that difference worth the effort / hassle of a resit? Only you can decide that.

Also, do you know what your transcript would look like? If you let the compensation stand, would it show your original mark? Or would it just say "pass" for that module? If you opted for the resit, would it show both marks against this module or just the latest mark? Would there be an indication that it was achieved via a resit? (These details with vary between universities.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
To answer that question you'd need to work out what your mark for the year would be with compensation (when the mark you obtained will stand, but will be treated as a pass) compared to what it would be with a capped mark. If the difference between the two is trivial, then it might not be worth it. However, if the difference could ultimately put you over a degree classification boundary at the end of year 3, then it might be.

Typically, you'd need to have scored at least 30% for compensation to apply, and typically would only be available for 20 or perhaps 30 credits. So let's assume your course has 6 modules in year 2, each worth 20 credits and that you scored 60% in each of the others. Let's also assume that you achieved 30% in the failed module and that it would be capped at 40% if you resat it.

With compensation, your average for the year would be (30+60+60+60+60+60) / 6 = 55.0%
With a capped resit, your average for the year would be (40+60+60+60+60+60) / 6 = 56.7%

Is that difference worth the effort / hassle of a resit? Only you can decide that.

Also, do you know what your transcript would look like? If you let the compensation stand, would it show your original mark? Or would it just say "pass" for that module? If you opted for the resit, would it show both marks against this module or just the latest mark? Would there be an indication that it was achieved via a resit? (These details with vary between universities.)

The mark on the transcript if I do resit would be the pass mark, and if I opt for compensation it would be the original mark I achieved that got compensated.

The total aggregate marks I have been awarded seems to use the pass mark of that module instead of the original mark totalling 64.65% , which I’m confused by but not complaining. Calculating with my original mark gives a very small difference (63.86%).
Original post by skrub28
The mark on the transcript if I do resit would be the pass mark, and if I opt for compensation it would be the original mark I achieved that got compensated.

The total aggregate marks I have been awarded seems to use the pass mark of that module instead of the original mark totalling 64.65% , which I’m confused by but not complaining. Calculating with my original mark gives a very small difference (63.86%).

That fact that they've calculated your overall mark using the pass mark of the failed module, not your actual mark, is odd. If you retook the module, your mark would be capped at the pass mark anyway, so resitting would have zero impact on your overall mark.

The only benefit of resitting would therefore seem to be the mark which appears on your transcript. How much that might concern a future Master's admission team or employer is difficult to judge. If it were me, I'd probably not do the resit. (But, like you I suspect, I would always be worried about how the mark might be perceived.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending