The Student Room Group

Government Social Research - Research Officer Scheme 2024

Hi everyone! Just thought I would create a thread for those applying for the Government Social Research Scheme 2024. Best of luck and feel free to post any questions below for others to answer!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there, do you know when it’s opening? I’ve signed up for the updates but not heard anything yet!
Original post by Nashabax
Hi there, do you know when it’s opening? I’ve signed up for the updates but not heard anything yet!

I emailed and they said it should be opening today at some point
Reply 3
Original post by SophieMaycroft
I emailed and they said it should be opening today at some point

Oh great, thank you!
For the qualification route does anyone know if a quantitative dissertation module counts? Or does it have to be only taught content?
Original post by redorangeblue
For the qualification route does anyone know if a quantitative dissertation module counts? Or does it have to be only taught content?

I think so, I’ll be putting mine down
Reply 6
hi guys just applied and completed the verbal and numerical tests the feedback said i passed, has anyone heard back from there applications?
Reply 7
Original post by Bee2398
hi guys just applied and completed the verbal and numerical tests the feedback said i passed, has anyone heard back from there applications?
I think you hear back after the 18th when applications close x
Hi there, does anyone have any idea whether the knowledge test is timed or not? I've seen conflicting information about this - one page saying it's timed but another saying it's offline. Also, the page where you can request reasonable adjustments if you need to said that there are no timed tests involved in the process, so a bit confused!!
Original post by MarieClaireLacey
Hi there, does anyone have any idea whether the knowledge test is timed or not? I've seen conflicting information about this - one page saying it's timed but another saying it's offline. Also, the page where you can request reasonable adjustments if you need to said that there are no timed tests involved in the process, so a bit confused!!
The knowledge test is timed. I went to the Q&A session and I think they said you’ll have 45 mins. It’s the Numerical and Verbal tests that are the ones that aren’t timed. Hope that helps!
Just to follow on, you don’t sit the knowledge test until you’ve completed the first couple of stages so you might not be able to request reasonable adjustments until you’re approaching that stage. Maybe contact them again and emphasise that you mean the Social Research Knowledge Test specifically and not the untimed tests
The knowledge test is timed. I went to the Q&A session and I think they said you’ll have 45 mins. It’s the Numerical and Verbal tests that are the ones that aren’t timed. Hope that helps!
thanks - I missed the Q&A - did they tell you how many questions there would be in the test or anything else useful about it?!
thanks - I missed the Q&A - did they tell you how many questions there would be in the test or anything else useful about it?!
They didn’t give much, just that it’s a 45 minute timed test on your knowledge of social research and that you can request reasonable adjustments for it. They just said to have a look at the example questions that are on the CS site if we want to get an idea of what it’s like.
Hi everyone,
I'm just revising for the knowledge test and wondering if anyone can clear something up for me for one of the questions...
The question about how to improve the presentation of numbers in a table (PI1) gives the correct answers as a. (Round the numbers to 2 significant figures) and e. (Display numbers to 2 decimal places). I put b. (Align the numbers consistently) and e. and can't work out why a. would be correct - could anyone clear this up?
I did my social research course quite a while ago so I'm quite rusty and have a lot of revising to do! So if anyone has any methods books they could recommend I'd appreciate that too!
Thanks
Hi everyone,
I'm just revising for the knowledge test and wondering if anyone can clear something up for me for one of the questions...
The question about how to improve the presentation of numbers in a table (PI1) gives the correct answers as a. (Round the numbers to 2 significant figures) and e. (Display numbers to 2 decimal places). I put b. (Align the numbers consistently) and e. and can't work out why a. would be correct - could anyone clear this up?
I did my social research course quite a while ago so I'm quite rusty and have a lot of revising to do! So if anyone has any methods books they could recommend I'd appreciate that too!
Thanks
I saw that question and went with the same answers as you and was confused when I saw the correct answers. Maybe it was a mistake?
I saw that question and went with the same answers as you and was confused when I saw the correct answers. Maybe it was a mistake?
that's what I was thinking - glad you thought the same thing
Does anyone have any idea when we will hear back about the next stage of the applications - if we’ve passed the verbal and numerical reasoning based on the new pass mark and whether we can sit the knowledge test?
Does anyone have any idea when we will hear back about the next stage of the applications - if we’ve passed the verbal and numerical reasoning based on the new pass mark and whether we can sit the knowledge test?
At the Q&A, they said that the Knowledge test will open around 1st April so hopefully we should hear before then. What did everyone get in the Numerical and Verbal tests?
I got 59 for numerical and 35 for verbal… how did you do?

I am also still waiting for an update, hopefully not too long now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending