The Student Room Group

Driving test

I have severe anxiety when it comes to my driving test day my nerves get the better of me and my legs shake and I'm just a nervous wreck waiting to make a mistake! ive been test ready for ages both of my instructors have said so, and they both say it's the nerves that get the better of me and stop me from passing! This is frustrating because it's only my head letting my down and not my ability to drive! I've got another test coming up and the anxiety is still there. I was just wondering if anyone else was like this and what you did to help get past these nerves and pass the test!?

Thank you in advance ☺️
(edited 11 months ago)
thread relocated
Original post by Jordd98
I have severe anxiety when it comes to my driving test day my nerves get the better of me and my legs shake and I'm just a nervous wreck waiting to make a mistake! ive been test ready for ages both of my instructors have said so, and they both say it's the nerves that get the better of me and stop me from passing! This is frustrating because it's only my head letting my down and not my ability to drive! I've got another test coming up and the anxiety is still there. I was just wondering if anyone else was like this and what you did to help get past these nerves and pass the test!?

Thank you in advance ☺️

my first driving test I actually failed because of the same reasons as you. my legs couldn't stop shaking and it felt like my whole life depended on this one moment. I was a decent driver, definitely test ready but my nerves got the best of me.

my tip I found that worked for me would be to at any moment you feel like you're nervous or your legs start to shake, just take a deep breathe. honestly, I lost count the amount of times I took a deep breathe on my retest. I passed the second time. just remain cool and take every road as it is, keep taking deep breathes and restart. all will be ok.

good luck
Original post by Jordd98

Thank you in advance ☺️

I was always a little nervous before my driving lessons. However, once I got in the car and started driving I was fine. I had my driving test in Nov 2022 at 10:01 and in the morning I was nervous. On my way to the test centre I pulled out infront of someone on a roundabout. Yet I didnt let it affect me. Once I got to the test centre and was waiting for my examiner to come, I was nervous. When my examiner came though he made me feel at ease. I did my show me question at the start, then I left the test centre and to my surprise my nerves started to fade. I treated it like lesson. I didnt think of bad scenarios in my head, I just got on with what was happening in the current moment. I felt no pressure from my examiner, and I just drove the car normally making sure to do all my observations. Doing the hill start added a little pressure but I mastered it. About 5 mins from the end, i knew i had done ok and made no major mistakes. Yet I remained fully concentrated because people do fail in the final minutes, even seconds of the test. Once I was stopped though, I got the good news that I had passed. I just leaned back in my seat and felt a sigh of relief. I had only 2 minors so i was happy with that.

Good Luck. Remember if you make a mistake, dont overthink it, it might have only been a minor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending