The Student Room Group

I am confused about this question

I am confused because the mark scheme seems to show that filtration as well as crystallisation is used to separate the mixture? Why is this?

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 22.08.16.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-30 at 22.08.46.png
The salt crystals would be dissolved into the water and so could be filtered out from the sand. However, the question requires that the student obtains salt crystals rather than a salt solution, so crystalisation has to be used to obtain the salt crystals again.
Reply 2
Original post by snazzles
The salt crystals would be dissolved into the water and so could be filtered out from the sand. However, the question requires that the student obtains salt crystals rather than a salt solution, so crystalisation has to be used to obtain the salt crystals again.

Oh, thanks! I must have somehow overlooked that part.
Reply 3
Original post by snazzles

If you don't mind me asking, where can you find the method for this? I've looked in various textbooks and found nothing explaining in detail about methods in separating mixtures
Original post by luckypie
If you don't mind me asking, where can you find the method for this? I've looked in various textbooks and found nothing explaining in detail about methods in separating mixtures

I've personally not seen any textbooks on experimental procedure and I've only ever learned experimental procedure through doing experiments in class and remembering what we did, or trying to tackle the question logically and coming up with solutions.

If you're doing SQA exams then I think BrightRED Advanced Higher Chemistry Study Guide (https://www.brightredpublishing.co.uk/shop/cfe-advanced-higher) has a unit on experimental procedure (if you download sample you should be able to see it in the contents page). I'm not sure if they do similar books for other exam systems but this it the study guide our teacher gave us.

Quick Reply

Latest