The Student Room Group

Biology A-level Question

Please can someone give me feedback on my answer to this question? Do I need to add anything else? Thanks

@tooticky
@Duzl
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mentor05
Please can someone give me feedback on my answer to this question? Do I need to add anything else? Thanks

@tooticky
@Duzl

I think it's really good. A point of advice for biology questions ( except for essay 6 or 9 markers ) is to bullet point. If you see it as each bullet point should get you a mark, you can write exactly what you need for each question. Saves massive amounts of time :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CatInTheCorner
I think it's really good. A point of advice for biology questions ( except for essay 6 or 9 markers ) is to bullet point. If you see it as each bullet point should get you a mark, you can write exactly what you need for each question. Saves massive amounts of

Thanks so much! I’m really confused with this, please can you help?
Reply 3
I think it's really good. A point of advice for biology questions ( except for essay 6 or 9 markers ) is to bullet point. If you see it as each bullet point should get you a mark, you can write exactly what you need for each question. Saves massive amounts of time :smile:

I will definitely use bullet points in future. I write too much!
I will definitely use bullet points in future. I write too much!

definitely don't make any less points just write less filler words like "and" etc. But make sure they're still sentences, even if they're bullet points, if it doesn't make sense, you might lose marks. Bullet points are a delicate art, but one worth learning!
Reply 5
definitely don't make any less points just write less filler words like "and" etc. But make sure they're still sentences, even if they're bullet points, if it doesn't make sense, you might lose marks. Bullet points are a delicate art, but one worth learning!

Definitely! I need to get used to them. Did you manage to look at the trace question? I’m really confused! Thanks.
Thanks so much! I’m really confused with this, please can you help?

This may help:
https://www.bws-school.org.uk/Curriculum-Exams/Science/Files/Y12Files/Biology%20Files/1.%20INDEPENDENT%20STUDY/Spirometry%20Qu.pdf
Reply 7

Thanks so much. This is so helpful. I’m also confused with this question. I think the pen will move down, and that trace cannot be from spirometer as it shows total long capacity. I’m not sure about safety procedures though. Thanks
Definitely! I need to get used to them. Did you manage to look at the trace question? I’m really confused! Thanks.

I have absolutely no clue, would skip that question in an exam paper!
Reply 9
I have absolutely no clue, would skip that question in an exam paper!

Haha! I have an exam on Friday and my teacher said we’ll be given questions like these! But the attachment helps a lot, what about this question? @BlueChicken any ideas?
(edited 2 years ago)
Thanks so much. This is so helpful. I’m also confused with this question. I think the pen will move down, and that trace cannot be from spirometer as it shows total long capacity. I’m not sure about safety procedures though. Thanks

I'd watch this video on how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqGDitxaBSk

Note the question says it is a spirometer trace. It wants to know if it could have been produced by the one shown in the picture. I'm hoping the above video will answer that. Hint: what is being measured in the spirometer? This may help https://practicalbiology.org/cells-to-systems/ventilation-systems/using-a-spirometer-to-investigate-human-lung-function?highlight=WyJpbnRlcnByZXQiXQ==
Haha! I have an exam on Friday and my teacher said we’ll be given questions like these! But the attachment helps a lot, what about this question? @BlueChicken any ideas?

See above - you need to get comfortable with how a spirometer works and what it is that it is measuring. Good luck with your exam.
Reply 12
Original post by BlueChicken
I'd watch this video on how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqGDitxaBSk

Note the question says it is a spirometer trace. It wants to know if it could have been produced by the one shown in the picture. I'm hoping the above video will answer that. Hint: what is being measured in the spirometer? This may help https://practicalbiology.org/cells-to-systems/ventilation-systems/using-a-spirometer-to-investigate-human-lung-function?highlight=WyJpbnRlcnByZXQiXQ==

Thanks! I think the pen will move down and it can’t be showed from the spirometer as it shows total lung capacity which cannot be measured by the device. Would that be right? I am a bit confused with precautions too. Thanks for all of your help
Thanks! I think the pen will move down and it can’t be showed from the spirometer as it shows total lung capacity which cannot be measured by the device. Would that be right? I am a bit confused with precautions too. Thanks for all of your help

I believe the doc I sent mentions safety precautions. Consider what the person using the apparatus is doing? I hope it should be obvious that the equipment needs to be clean, as they are breathing in from it (and possibly, someone else (many people) could have breathed out into it...). If they're asked to exercise, are they in suitable surroundings, could they come to harm? How long can the equipment safely be used? Revisit the document.

For the pen question - why do you think the pen will move down? As in, can you explain why? What does the kymograph show? If a person inhales, will the volume shown on the kymograph increase or decrease? (PS: I do think down is correct, but you need to understand why).

For the last part, why can't total lung capacity be measured by that device? It specifies that the trace is from a spirometer - so why/why not this one?
Reply 14
Original post by BlueChicken
I believe the doc I sent mentions safety precautions. Consider what the person using the apparatus is doing? I hope it should be obvious that the equipment needs to be clean, as they are breathing in from it (and possibly, someone else (many people) could have breathed out into it...). If they're asked to exercise, are they in suitable surroundings, could they come to harm? How long can the equipment safely be used? Revisit the document.

For the pen question - why do you think the pen will move down? As in, can you explain why? What does the kymograph show? If a person inhales, will the volume shown on the kymograph increase or decrease? (PS: I do think down is correct, but you need to understand why).

For the last part, why can't total lung capacity be measured by that device? It specifies that the trace is from a spirometer - so why/why not this one?

That is so helpful! I understand safety procedures now - things like sterilising, ensuring the subject is healthy, breathing through the nose etc.

I understand the pen movement now too, I watched a Snaprevise video!

I am not too sure about the last question, whether it is showed by the spirometer. I thought that some spirometers cannot measure lung capacity so I went with that. What do you think it would be?
That is so helpful! I understand safety procedures now - things like sterilising, ensuring the subject is healthy, breathing through the nose etc.

I understand the pen movement now too, I watched a Snaprevise video!

I am not too sure about the last question, whether it is showed by the spirometer. I thought that some spirometers cannot measure lung capacity so I went with that. What do you think it would be?

I admit - I don't think it's massively clear. The trace only shows 5 breaths - however, we don't know the time scale and if these were the first 5 breaths on the equipment. As CO2 is absorbed from the exhalation, and O2 is used by the body, the amount of gas in the spirometer will decrease over time. Assuming an adequate level of air (or oxygen) in the spirometer at the start, and assuming these are the first 5 breaths of the study, then this set up could produce this trace (assuming trace means the red line).

Sorry, that's not much help.

@tooticky
@Duzl

Its a good answer but Id refer to Ficks Law to ensure I get all of the marks.
Reply 17
so if i write bullet points for a 6-mark (QoWC) question, would I lose marks?
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)I think it's really good. A point of advice for biology questions ( except for essay 6 or 9 markers ) is to bullet point. If you see it as each bullet point should get you a mark, you can write exactly what you need for each question. Saves massive amounts of time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest