The Student Room Group

Nucelophillic / elimination

In the first picture it talks about OH need to be warm and it doesn't mix with water

But this contradicts the second picture where it says for substitution cold OH in water

They contradict each other
Reply 1
15968060297803648815365561900734.jpg15968060528013468711107815645557.jpg
Original post by Jshek
In the first picture it talks about OH need to be warm and it doesn't mix with water

But this contradicts the second picture where it says for substitution cold OH in water

They contradict each other

There is a difference between warm and hot.

If the mixture is HOT (think reflux) then elimination will occur.
If it's cold, the substitution reaction is slow, so it is warmed up a bit (maybe 50-60ºC)
Reply 3
Original post by charco
There is a difference between warm and hot.

If the mixture is HOT (think reflux) then elimination will occur.
If it's cold, the substitution reaction is slow, so it is warmed up a bit (maybe 50-60ºC)

Ok I understand the temp but in the 1st picture it talks about OH being in ethanol but why does it say water in the 2nd picture
Original post by Jshek
Ok I understand the temp but in the 1st picture it talks about OH being in ethanol but why does it say water in the 2nd picture

It will react in water, but as the book states, a little ethanol is useful to help the haloalkane come into contact with the nucleophile. Here the ethanol is a solvent.

In the second reaction the ethanol is heloping the NaOH base become stronger, by forming the ethoxide ion, a stronger base than the hydroxide ion.

Never forget that textbooks are written by humans; they make mistakes and sometimes take shortcuts. If you understand the why in chemistry then you can usually spot the inaccuracies/typos/mistakes/omissions.

I have written several books and am still finding issues years later!

Quick Reply

Latest