The Student Room Group

RAF - Medical Question - Use of Steriod on the skin

The guidance states, (under Eczema) that the use of a perscribed steriod applied to the skin will mean you will be TMU for 3 years.
However I was perscribed a steriod due to scabies. Will that mean I would be automatically TMU for 3 years. I cannot seem to find any guidance/rule for the use of a perscribed steriod in respect any other condition apart from Ezcema. Can any one advise - would it be worth applying of should I wait 2 years - the time remaining?
Original post by Siobhan Hussey
The guidance states, (under Eczema) that the use of a perscribed steriod applied to the skin will mean you will be TMU for 3 years.
However I was perscribed a steriod due to scabies. Will that mean I would be automatically TMU for 3 years. I cannot seem to find any guidance/rule for the use of a perscribed steriod in respect any other condition apart from Ezcema. Can any one advise - would it be worth applying of should I wait 2 years - the time remaining?

I wouldn't wait for 2 years when I could just apply and find out for sure.
Original post by Siobhan Hussey

Atopic dermatitis is normally caused by a yeast or fungal infection if the inflammation is red and blotchy; variations of that can be caused via an allergic reaction. Eliminating potential causes such as pets in the household or certain fabrics or liquids you might be allergic to would be a start; additionally, cleaning and removing any potential sources of Parisitic infection would assist in eliminating reinfection in the future. The Medical constraints on joining the Military are mainly there to prevent infecting an entire roster with an infection that would be difficult to treat in a humid environment or if in deployment; you need to be symptom free for an extended period of time like 6 months; although 3 years seems a bit extreme. I would advise applying immediately just to see what the joining process is like; if you are declined from joining because of a mere skin condition it does not matter. You should focus on other compelling reasons to join rather than what is preventing you from joining; otherwise you will just be focusing on the negative and missing out on the bigger picture and how you fit into that.

And technically, everyone is a Military Unit; it just depends on the alignment and the objective.

Quick Reply

Latest