The Student Room Group

KCL: Msc in Advanced Cyber Security (part-time distance learning)

Hi all, I have just gotten an offer from King's College London for an online Cyber Security degree. I understand the prestige of KCL but the program doesn't require a dissertation or project at the end. The dissertation has been replaced by 4 Research Methods modules at the end of the program. Also, there are no optional modules and two modules seem to fit very loosely to Network Security ("Big Data technologies" and "Distributed Ledger and Cryptos").

It would be great if anyone at KCL or anyone currently taking this particular program can offer some insight.

Thanks.
(edited 3 years ago)
I have only ever walked thru KCL campus, tho’ I’m a published peer reviewed (Prestigious IEEE conferences) scientific crypto author & engineer.

Online distance learning can work really well , I had two PhD student from KTH university who simply worked with me in Italy for several years whilst getting their doctorates in cyber.

Modules: If you can master, grok, get, Big Data and then distributed ledger and its uses, then you have a world that needs you! YLE Radio Finland was transmitting the bitcoin blockchain over FM in Finland, for wider coverage. Imagine BBC Radio 2 transmitting something useful, for a change.

Network security is wider than just tcp & udp & the maxim “everything that is connected is going to get hacked” - or is it a truism?

You just have to determine whether this KCL course is primarily a “money-making” opportunity for you, or for Kings? But congrats on the offer

Edit: it wasn’t Malmo, but KTH in Stockholm - here’s a job offer they put out recently in this field https://www.kth.se/en/api/2.61673/what:job/jobID:274121/where:4/
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks for the reply. But how would you judge a graduate of a Msc without doing a desertation or project work?
Reply 3
Original post by legdayallday
Thanks for the reply. But how would you judge a graduate of a Msc without doing a desertation or project work?
Hi why do you want to do a dissertation? In USA they offer master's degrees without the dissertation and I prefere it. Dissertation is not useful for your career. Aim to elarn new skills and stuff you want to know that wll help you build a business or get a job you want. Dissertations is a waste of time. I did it once and I never wanted to do it again. I am a first class honors degree graduate from UWS in Scotland and I am thinking to apply for KCL because they dont offer the dissertation.
Reply 4
Original post by Anax98
Hi why do you want to do a dissertation? In USA they offer master's degrees without the dissertation and I prefere it. Dissertation is not useful for your career. Aim to elarn new skills and stuff you want to know that wll help you build a business or get a job you want. Dissertations is a waste of time. I did it once and I never wanted to do it again. I am a first class honors degree graduate from UWS in Scotland and I am thinking to apply for KCL because they dont offer the dissertation.

what makes a master's degree are the credits you earn. Dont hesitate to apply because they dont offer a dissertation. Dissertation is just a module and in my opinion a useless module. The only usefullness it has is to learn to do a dissertation. You can open a dissertation services business. I can learn to write a research article with a smaller module like research methods module. Why to spend a whole semester writing an essay? That time you could do more useful things. Apply for that master's degree or in a USA university, you will see you wil learn much more skills and not writing skills. Skills that can help you make money. You can learn these skills free too, but a university title is needed if you want to follow a professional career. i personally am studyingbecause of me and doing my own business concurrently not to get a job. i hate jobs :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending