The Student Room Group

Online MSC in Cyber Security at The University of London

Hi I have been offered a place on MSC Cyber Security with The University of London , starting in October . I have not yet accepted it as have read conflicting reviews about the institution online and want to be sure. Does anybody have experience with online MSC with this institution ? Many thanks Hayley
Reply 1
I am in the same shoe as you. I am yet to accept the offer. I am confused.com . I even asked them the mode of end of the module online examinations. They did give me any concrete reason.
Original post by ykforyou
I am in the same shoe as you. I am yet to accept the offer. I am confused.com . I even asked them the mode of end of the module online examinations. They did give me any concrete reason.

Hi there , thanks for replying , I did go ahead and accept the offer and am due to start on 9th October. I spent a long time thinking about it but went for it as is accredited by the NCSC and I wanted something I could do part time flexibly around other work commitments.
I have found the registration and induction all ok , bit confusing in some areas but got there in the end.
I chose the institution as it is in association with Royal Holloway which is respected .
If you want to ask me anything else please do !

Which other institutions are you considering?
Hayley
Reply 3
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi there , I have asked the course enrolment tutor to clarify the examination format etc .. so will let you know asap.
I heard mixed things about York to be fair.
I think Royal Holloway / UOL is more respected eventhough more expensive .
My background is in Digital Marketing and web design but I have some cyber work experience too ,
Hayley
Reply 5
Thanks for your response. Much appreciated. With your background you are ahead of me hahah! Yes, I saw the issue with York. However, York advertisement is more clear and on point while Royal Holloway University of London (RHUL) isn't. Such as duration of the course etc. Another issue with RHUL is the student finance. Did you apply for student finance? The course (Msc in Cyber Security) is not on the list of drop down courses of student finance website. I tried to use University of London (Worldwide), I am getting 3 years or 4 years to complete the course. If you don't mind sharing how you crossed this bridge with me if you have applied for student finance. Thanks so much. !
Original post by ykforyou
Thanks for your response. Much appreciated. With your background you are ahead of me hahah! Yes, I saw the issue with York. However, York advertisement is more clear and on point while Royal Holloway University of London (RHUL) isn't. Such as duration of the course etc. Another issue with RHUL is the student finance. Did you apply for student finance? The course (Msc in Cyber Security) is not on the list of drop down courses of student finance website. I tried to use University of London (Worldwide), I am getting 3 years or 4 years to complete the course. If you don't mind sharing how you crossed this bridge with me if you have applied for student finance. Thanks so much. !

Hi there , I did an internship in pen testing recently but haven’t got an IT related degree and feel it is holding me back applying for jobs .

I had difficulty with navigating the correct student finance option ! Drop down -You go to university of London (worldwide) then part time , I specified three years, it’s 2023/2024 postgraduate cyber security MSC option .
How it works is you have to pay for first module before it is given back to you in October by student finance as they have to see that you are enrolled on course now before they will release the funds . It is pay per module if you like .
I think I’m getting my first SF payment start of October .

I asked course enrolment tutor and it is a combination of graded assignments and online examination at end of each module.

Have to say they have been really helpful throughout the whole process .

Hope that helps!
Thanks Hayley
An online MSc sounds dodgy, if I am honest. Is it an MSc by research instead of a taught MSc?
Reply 8
Hi there, could you tell us your experience so far with the master's degree? Which subjects have you finished? What about the quality of content? Regards!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending