The Student Room Group

You want to get into cyber intelligence, which MSc you choose?

I want to move into cyber intel. My BA is in sociology and i have a lame MSc in cyber from a bad college that no recruiter really cares about. I got accepted in the below programmes, which ones do you think will help me more towards my goal?
Kings - Intelligence and security
Middlesex - Digital Forensics
Uclan - Cybercrime Investigation

Do you think its more of a matter of the name and raking of the school, or the actual MSc structure?
(edited 1 year ago)
Where do you want to move into cyber intel? As in, which organisation do you want to work for?
It would be great to move to a company like crowdstrike, mandiant, ibm and the likes. So, private sector.
Have a look at their employees that work in the job that you want on Linkedin - this will give you a good idea of the qualifications needed and whether they prefer to give the training in house or for you to have completed it prior to application.
I'd look into whether i could find a job in that field or at least a job where i could work towards working in that field.
going to uni would be last resort i.e. if it was impossible to get a job without the degree. and even so i'd do it part-time. i'd really consider the jobs vs grads though. i wouldn't want to 'invest' several thousands and 1 year of life all for a job that isn't even guarateed at the end. in fact could get the degree and ironically end up in a worse situation that before i.e. unemployed
(edited 1 year ago)
i know what you mean. but i keep hearing the same excuses from the recruiters, that other candidates had better degrees etc. and ive seen from colleagues who have 100% cybersec degrees, they get so many more calls. so i feel my cv is lacking in the educational stuff. perhaps a sans cert would make more sense.
This post is rather confused.
You have a MSc in cyber? From which college? And why do u think getting another one would help?
And a MSc in international relations would not help do get into cyber security.
a small college in romania that nobody knows.... um, i was thinking about international relations because cyber intel is not technical, and all the job postings ive seen ask for IR mainly.
im just having a really difficult time landing interviews. And the recruiters i spoke with told me its the lack of degrees, or the irrelevant degrees that i have. None cares about my romanian degree here.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ali3n
i know what you mean. but i keep hearing the same excuses from the recruiters, that other candidates had better degrees etc. and ive seen from colleagues who have 100% cybersec degrees, they get so many more calls. so i feel my cv is lacking in the educational stuff. perhaps a sans cert would make more sense.

Considering the experience you have could you apply for a top ranked uni in Cyber security intelligence? If the recruiters are saying the degree is important than I'm guessing the rank of the uni is will be important as well as the subject.
so, there is no cyber intel MSc. I could go for the Kings MA in Intelligence or LSE's international relations, and perhaps the CTIA certification? And kind of combine these two? Currently at my role, im the lead, so my work schedule is flexible, i wont need to quit my job to attend uni.
Original post by one_two_three
Have a look at their employees that work in the job that you want on Linkedin - this will give you a good idea of the qualifications needed and whether they prefer to give the training in house or for you to have completed it prior to application.

the vast majority has a bachelors in CS, and are way younger than me.
Original post by username6115822
the vast majority has a bachelors in CS, and are way younger than me.

What did you end up choosing? I'm also thinking about this field coming from a non-CS background.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending