The Student Room Group

What is it like studying medicine in Ireland?

Since the prices in the UK after Brexit are no longer approachable to me (EU student) I've been thinking about stuyding medicine in Ireland. So any type of insights about the courses (in TCD, UCD, RCSI), living as a student in Ireland, student finance etc. are really welcome. I've also heard some bad reviews about the healthcare system there, so I'm open to that discussion too.
Reply 1
Thank you I'm new here:colondollar:
Reply 2
where can i find the forum?
Original post by justineooo
Since the prices in the UK after Brexit are no longer approachable to me (EU student) I've been thinking about stuyding medicine in Ireland. So any type of insights about the courses (in TCD, UCD, RCSI), living as a student in Ireland, student finance etc. are really welcome. I've also heard some bad reviews about the healthcare system there, so I'm open to that discussion too.

I'm a current (international) student at UCD and I can say that it is an amazing course. The lectures are really good and the campus is amazing. There is a strong community vibe amongst students and the university really gives you lots of opportunities and support. Would really recommend it! I was living in London and was originally looking at UK universities, and was a bit scared that things would get a bit competitive. It is completely different in Ireland - the communal culture is a very positive atmosphere imo ! Many people do plan on leaving Ireland after graduation to practice elsewhere and the uni really prepares you for that as well if that's what you want (i.e. with USMLE, UK foundation applications etc.). I have not heard bad reviews about the healthcare system - instead, I would say the hospitals UCD works with are excellent
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a current (international) student at UCD and I can say that it is an amazing course. The lectures are really good and the campus is amazing. There is a strong community vibe amongst students and the university really gives you lots of opportunities and support. Would really recommend it! I was living in London and was originally looking at UK universities, and was a bit scared that things would get a bit competitive. It is completely different in Ireland - the communal culture is a very positive atmosphere imo ! Many people do plan on leaving Ireland after graduation to practice elsewhere and the uni really prepares you for that as well if that's what you want (i.e. with USMLE, UK foundation applications etc.). I have not heard bad reviews about the healthcare system - instead, I would say the hospitals UCD works with are excellent

Thank you! However, it seems like Ireland does not really appreciate IB diploma and the requirements are insanely high. Could you maybe tell me more about the financial aspects? Is it possible to take out a loan and are the scholarships to help pay for, for example, rent?
Original post by justineooo
Thank you! However, it seems like Ireland does not really appreciate IB diploma and the requirements are insanely high. Could you maybe tell me more about the financial aspects? Is it possible to take out a loan and are the scholarships to help pay for, for example, rent?

I would argue that medicine requirements are high worldwide! I did do the IB diploma and received a 43; another friend who did the IB also scored similarly. IB is not as common as an entrance diploma in comparison to the Irish Leaving Cert, A-Levels, AP etc. so it's hard for me to give you a general view. Financially, it is a lot - I am not going to lie to you about that. You may be able to take out a loan from your own country, but unlikely from Ireland. There are virtually no scholarships for international students for medicine at UCD - there are a few awards, but they are extremely competitive (i.e. ranking 1st in the class etc.) and only cover a very tiny, almost insignificant sum in comparison to the overall tuition fee. They do warn you to be financially prepared before embarking on the course. Rent is ridiculously high.

But with that said, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I think the university, the course and the people are fantastic and very encouraging for my future career.
I would argue that medicine requirements are high worldwide! I did do the IB diploma and received a 43; another friend who did the IB also scored similarly. IB is not as common as an entrance diploma in comparison to the Irish Leaving Cert, A-Levels, AP etc. so it's hard for me to give you a general view. Financially, it is a lot - I am not going to lie to you about that. You may be able to take out a loan from your own country, but unlikely from Ireland. There are virtually no scholarships for international students for medicine at UCD - there are a few awards, but they are extremely competitive (i.e. ranking 1st in the class etc.) and only cover a very tiny, almost insignificant sum in comparison to the overall tuition fee. They do warn you to be financially prepared before embarking on the course. Rent is ridiculously high.

But with that said, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I think the university, the course and the people are fantastic and very encouraging for my future career.

actually it depends on what high means to someone - in the UK, you usually need like 38 or something and 766 or 666 at HL, I don't think it's extremely hard to get it
in my home country for example that depends very much on the uni but you can get into some medical schools with like 55 in biology HL and chemistry HL (they don't care about the total score, only the important subjects)

and also, you're probably referring to non-EU students, but to the OP, @justineooo, I'm pretty sure that in Ireland if you're an EU citizen the fees are like 8,000 euros and you pay actually for the registration because the course is in a way subsidised by the EU, but double check yourself cause I'm not 100% sure
Reply 7
Original post by VanillaCream
actually it depends on what high means to someone - in the UK, you usually need like 38 or something and 766 or 666 at HL, I don't think it's extremely hard to get it
in my home country for example that depends very much on the uni but you can get into some medical schools with like 55 in biology HL and chemistry HL (they don't care about the total score, only the important subjects)

and also, you're probably referring to non-EU students, but to the OP, @justineooo, I'm pretty sure that in Ireland if you're an EU citizen the fees are like 8,000 euros and you pay actually for the registration because the course is in a way subsidised by the EU, but double check yourself cause I'm not 100% sure

That sounds about right, non-EU students pay a LOT more than EU. And about the IB, I completely agree, it's just about where you look and the subjects in general. I think that because the UK is so much more competitive than places in general, the requirements do tend to be higher, not because of the subject requirements but because of competitiveness. Im applying this year, with IB predictions so hopefully we'll get in.
Hi guys
Does anyone have an idea about studying GEM in Ireland? Can we come back to work in the UK afterwards?
Thank you
Ah thank you for moving me! The UKMLA is due to be introduced for students studying in the UK as well right or was that another exam that was going to be introduced to students that studied medicine in the UK?

Are the number of international students high in ucd? How is course for GEM students? Would you say the exposure you get is good to go back to the UK? Do you know how competitive it is to get a foundation year place as a EU student in ireland? Or is it the same as the UK
Original post by star77
Are the number of international students high in ucd? How is course for GEM students? Would you say the exposure you get is good to go back to the UK? Do you know how competitive it is to get a foundation year place as a EU student in ireland? Or is it the same as the UK

The number of international students is higher than the average UK university, but the majority will be Irish as it is reserved for local students. There is also a parallel medicine program for Malay students where they do their preclinical years in UCD dublin and their clinical placement years back in Malaysia. Competitiveness will change yearly especially with covid, it is hard to tell- but the past five years, we were told that every international student that wanted to stay in Ireland had an intern position when they graduated. Bear in mind that there are A LOT of americans and canadiens on the medicine program, and many international students do take and prep for the USMLE and away rotations/electives in America - not everyone wants to stay in Europe. Ireland is actually struggling to retain doctors and so I think they are making it easier for internationals to train here and hopefully stay.

Are you an international student or are you british? Because due to your working rights, it may be easier for you to get a foundation place in UK than someone who has foreign nationality.

The irish healthcare system is similar but still quite different to the UK. Albeit, dublin is also very convenient to Belfast etc. to get NHS experience. Irish medical degrees are also well recognised in the UK because Ireland loses many irish doctors to the UK. As an example, Imperial College London only allows UK and Irish medical students on their intercalation programmes.

GEM is structured with 2 years pre-clin years and 2 years clinical placement which is similar to America.
The number of international students is higher than the average UK university, but the majority will be Irish as it is reserved for local students. There is also a parallel medicine program for Malay students where they do their preclinical years in UCD dublin and their clinical placement years back in Malaysia. Competitiveness will change yearly especially with covid, it is hard to tell- but the past five years, we were told that every international student that wanted to stay in Ireland had an intern position when they graduated. Bear in mind that there are A LOT of americans and canadiens on the medicine program, and many international students do take and prep for the USMLE and away rotations/electives in America - not everyone wants to stay in Europe. Ireland is actually struggling to retain doctors and so I think they are making it easier for internationals to train here and hopefully stay.

Are you an international student or are you british? Because due to your working rights, it may be easier for you to get a foundation place in UK than someone who has foreign nationality.

The irish healthcare system is similar but still quite different to the UK. Albeit, dublin is also very convenient to Belfast etc. to get NHS experience. Irish medical degrees are also well recognised in the UK because Ireland loses many irish doctors to the UK. As an example, Imperial College London only allows UK and Irish medical students on their intercalation programmes.

GEM is structured with 2 years pre-clin years and 2 years clinical placement which is similar to America.

Wow thank you for your detailed answer! I am an international student who is studying in the UK currently. Since my parents work here and pay taxes, according to the CAO i qualify for EU fee paying status. This was a pretty big news to us since it means we get to pay a very reduced fee compared to what we have to pay as internationals in the UK and Ireland. We were told that all EU fee paying students get an intern place. From what you told me, it seems like a good place for internationals as well. However, as an international it might be harder to go back to the UK but I dont think its too hard since they are planning to introduce the UKMLA for everyone. As someone who lived in America and Canada for a good portion of my life, I also feel like the environment would be more suited for me in Ireland. Of course I enjoyed my time in the UK and it would be nice to stay closer to my family, however im still not completely adjusted to the British culture. From what I heard, the GEM program is much more better organized in ireland than the GEM program in UK since its been on longer. Hopefully my GAMSAT score will be enough to get me a place.

Would you say the party culture is big in ireland? I know UK unis have an insane amount nightouts and drinkings. Its almost impossible to find people who dont like it. Is the uni atmosphere in Ireland the same?
Would you say the party culture is big in ireland? I know UK unis have an insane amount nightouts and drinkings. Its almost impossible to find people who dont like it. Is the uni atmosphere in Ireland the same?

Yeah.. unfortunately the party/drinking culture is massive - even more so than my time studying in London (but that might be due to how expensive london is). Obviously, it depends on the people you surround yourself :smile: This is going to be an overgeneralisation but there are lots of malaysian students and they tend to drink less (compared to europeans) if that helps? But again, you can be friends with someone and not drink with them too etc. I think this goes with the general advice around drinking/friends in uni

hi, Can you please msg me? id like to know more abt the course run in parallel for the Malay students
Reply 16

Hey, could I messages you privately about UCD as I have few questions about the medicine course
Reply 17
The requirements for medicine are insane high for IB. Ireland does not appreciate IB diploma. My daughter is from EU country doing IB diploma. If she does polish matura she would get into medicine without any doubt. The exam is so easy. But she is going to pass IB and the requirements for IB diploma holders are very high. I do not understand that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending