The Student Room Group

I really don't like computer science NEED HELP

Hey everyone,

I'm a first-year computer science student in Ireland, but I originally planned to pursue medicine. Unfortunately, I didn't get the necessary grades, even though our university application system is similar to UCAS, and we can list 10 courses from any university in order of preference.

When I got my results, I was devastated and shocked by how low they were. I thought I wasn't cut out for medicine, so I ended up getting an offer for computer science. At the time, I had two choices: repeat the year or accept the computer science offer. Everyone around me advised me to take the computer science option, although I was hesitant. I spoke to some computer science students and a software engineer who told me it's a great career and not as difficult as medicine. Also, at that time, I saw how poorly doctors were treated in the news, which influenced my decision a lot.

I accepted the computer science offer, but after five months into the course, I'm not finding it interesting. Here are my reasons:

1. The tasks are too mundane.
2. Most of the modules are boring.
3. I'm okay at programming, but it takes me much longer to understand new questions.
4. Sometimes I feel like I wouldn't be happy sitting behind a desk all day.
5. There's also a lack of practical application.

I really wish I had repeated the year and tried again for medicine, but that opportunity is gone now. If anyone has been in my position, could you please give me advice on what to do?

Many Thanks
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by xeelaq
Hey everyone,

I'm a first-year computer science student in Ireland, but I originally planned to pursue medicine. Unfortunately, I didn't get the necessary grades, even though our university application system is similar to UCAS, and we can list 10 courses from any university in order of preference. Here's what I chose:

1. Medicine at Trinity College Dublin
2. Medicine at RCSI
3. Medicine at UCD
4. Medicine at UCC
5. Dentistry
6. Computer science
7. Computer science
8. Computer science
9. Computer science
10. Computer science

When I got my results, I was devastated and shocked by how low they were. I thought I wasn't cut out for medicine, so I ended up getting an offer for computer science. At the time, I had two choices: repeat the year or accept the computer science offer. Everyone around me advised me to take the computer science option, although I was hesitant. I spoke to some computer science students and a software engineer who told me it's a great career and not as difficult as medicine. Also, at that time, I saw how poorly doctors were treated in the news, which influenced my decision a lot.

I accepted the computer science offer, but after five months into the course, I'm not finding it interesting. Here are my reasons:

3. I'm okay at programming, but it takes me much longer to understand new questions.

I really wish I had repeated the year and tried again for medicine, but that opportunity is gone now. If anyone has been in my position, could you please give me advice on what to do?

Many Thanks

If you don't think you are going to enjoy computer science, don't torture yourself for 3 years to get a degree in a profession you don't enjoy. It's just going to be a waste of money at that point because first year is considered the more "easier" stuff in which you are ment to be taught the fundamentals, so it only gets worse from there. Lack of motivation to revise due to course choice can also lead to you getting a lower class degree/potentially failing. I suggest that you retake your post 16 examinations either as a Private Candidate or at a Sixth Form/College that take in mature students for a year and apply for medicine in the next cycle. It's not too late to turn it around if you are willing to take the risk. It's way too late to apply for 2023 university entry so your only choices are to -
A) Drop out, self study your post 16 examinations and enter as a private candidate this year (keep in mind you will only have around 4 months to revise and register to an exam centre)Get the grades you need then you can take a gap year where you can get a job, make some money and get work experience for the 2024 entry
B) do what you like for the remainder of the year (whether stay on the course or drop out) and take your post 16 exams in 2024 at a college or something then apply for medicine.
C) Endure the course
What you really need to consider is if you don't plan to endure the course then it's best to drop out as early as you can so you don't waste anymore money. Of course you really need to think this over if this is the right choice for you.
Reply 2
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
If you don't think you are going to enjoy computer science, don't torture yourself for 3 years to get a degree in a profession you don't enjoy. It's just going to be a waste of money at that point because first year is considered the more "easier" stuff in which you are ment to be taught the fundamentals, so it only gets worse from there. Lack of motivation to revise due to course choice can also lead to you getting a lower class degree/potentially failing. I suggest that you retake your post 16 examinations either as a Private Candidate or at a Sixth Form/College that take in mature students for a year and apply for medicine in the next cycle. It's not too late to turn it around if you are willing to take the risk. It's way too late to apply for 2023 university entry so your only choices are to -
A) Drop out, self study your post 16 examinations and enter as a private candidate this year (keep in mind you will only have around 4 months to revise and register to an exam centre)Get the grades you need then you can take a gap year where you can get a job, make some money and get work experience for the 2024 entry
B) do what you like for the remainder of the year (whether stay on the course or drop out) and take your post 16 exams in 2024 at a college or something then apply for medicine.
C) Endure the course
What you really need to consider is if you don't plan to endure the course then it's best to drop out as early as you can so you don't waste anymore money. Of course you really need to think this over if this is the right choice for you.

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it
Reply 3
Original post by xeelaq
Hey everyone,

I'm a first-year computer science student in Ireland, but I originally planned to pursue medicine. Unfortunately, I didn't get the necessary grades, even though our university application system is similar to UCAS, and we can list 10 courses from any university in order of preference. Here's what I chose:

2. Medicine at RCSI
3. Medicine at UCD
4. Medicine at UCC
5. Dentistry
6. Computer science
7. Computer science
8. Computer science
9. Computer science
10. Computer science

Many Thanks

I was in the same position as you did my LC in 2019 and my CAO options were exactly like yours, didn't get the HPAT score so accepted the Computer Science course. I somehow got through the course was never really interested in it but due to covid pushed through it. I just finished my degree last month and I am thinking of taking the GAMSAT to apply for Graduate Medicine, I would say if you feel you can manage to get a 2.1 this could be a really good option for you.

However, if you absolutely hate the course and have no interest definitely reapply or think of going abroad!!
Original post by xeelaq
Hey everyone,

2. Medicine at RCSI
3. Medicine at UCD
4. Medicine at UCC
5. Dentistry
6. Computer science
7. Computer science
8. Computer science
9. Computer science
10. Computer science

Many Thanks

The most important thing to do is to speak to the university support team. It is far from too late to change your course. There will also be an opportunity to take an interruption of study, to return at a later date. The professionals who advise you at your current university will not steer you wrong or judge you. In fact, they will support you to find and enjoy the best learning experience available to you. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by jacko21223
I was in the same position as you did my LC in 2019 and my CAO options were exactly like yours, didn't get the HPAT score so accepted the Computer Science course. I somehow got through the course was never really interested in it but due to covid pushed through it. I just finished my degree last month and I am thinking of taking the GAMSAT to apply for Graduate Medicine, I would say if you feel you can manage to get a 2.1 this could be a really good option for you.

However, if you absolutely hate the course and have no interest definitely reapply or think of going abroad!!

thanks for the reply Jacko just wanted to ask did you do internships during university like did it change your mind about computer science?
Reply 6
Original post by xeelaq
thanks for the reply Jacko just wanted to ask did you do internships during university like did it change your mind about computer science?

Yeh did one basically every summer and had a placement as part of my course. For me anyways really enjoyed the work compared to the course. Found the course really demanding so couldn't really put effort to learn properly was more focused on completing assignments in work you would have plenty of time to learn!!

Also the tech market in Ireland is really good you would definitely be earning more than doctors for a while anyways. But still I don’t know feel like Medicine would be a better fit so still going give the GAMSAT a go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending