The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine in Ireland

I've just had my fourth medical school rejection :frown: so I've been looking into what to do next and I like the idea of applying to study medicine in Ireland (eg. university college dublin or trinity college dublin). I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about applying to study medicine in ireland as I'm struggling to find up to date information and I have some questions:

Am I able to apply to 4 UK medical schools via UCAS as well as applying to medicine in Ireland?

Is it true that Irish medical schools don't require personal statements or interviews?

Do I need to do 4 a levels to get into medicine in Ireland? I am only doing 3 a levels (bio, chem, psychology) (predicted A*A*A* but not sure whether I'll actually get that) but I did get an A in AS maths and my GCSEs are nine 9s and two 8s.

How would I go about doing the HPAT as I don't live in the UK?

What is it like studying medicine in Ireland?

Is it cheaper to study in Ireland? (as an undergraduate student from england)

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you.
Okay thank you
Original post by medrejectlol
I've just had my fourth medical school rejection :frown: so I've been looking into what to do next and I like the idea of applying to study medicine in Ireland (eg. university college dublin or trinity college dublin). I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about applying to study medicine in ireland as I'm struggling to find up to date information and I have some questions:

Am I able to apply to 4 UK medical schools via UCAS as well as applying to medicine in Ireland?

Is it true that Irish medical schools don't require personal statements or interviews?

Do I need to do 4 a levels to get into medicine in Ireland? I am only doing 3 a levels (bio, chem, psychology) (predicted A*A*A* but not sure whether I'll actually get that) but I did get an A in AS maths and my GCSEs are nine 9s and two 8s.

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you.

Hi, just wondering if you got any answers to your questions? Im considering the same thing but its hard to get my head around all the information out there
I answered some of those questions in this thread last year: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7237419
- Yes. You apply to universities in Ireland via the CAO.

- For school leavers applying to undergrad medicine, yes. Different rules may apply to international [beyond EU / UK…] candidates - read the CAO guidance and each Uni website carefully.

- No. See my answers in this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7237419

- Search for HPAT Ireland Acer and read what they say about wherever you live.

- Someone else can have a go at this one. ;-)

- Fees are significantly less than UK fees, although the cost of living isn’t cheap.
FWIW in the longer-term, medics earn more in Ireland.
Reply 5
Original post by DoMedInIreland
- Yes. You apply to universities in Ireland via the CAO.

- For school leavers applying to undergrad medicine, yes. Different rules may apply to international [beyond EU / UK…] candidates - read the CAO guidance and each Uni website carefully.

- No. See my answers in this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7237419

- Search for HPAT Ireland Acer and read what they say about wherever you live.

- Someone else can have a go at this one. ;-)

- Fees are significantly less than UK fees, although the cost of living isn’t cheap.
FWIW in the longer-term, medics earn more in Ireland.

Hey , thinking of doing the same. Do you know what the student finance situation is like , would i be eligible for a loan if i have a settled status in the uk? And when are you suppose to apply through cao? Do they take predicted grades?
I wrote a detailed reply to this some time ago, but a moderator blocked it - didn’t trust the links and wouldn’t click on them to verify that they were real.

To your second-last question, here is something I wrote on a different thread this week:
You have until 19 January 2024 to apply for 2024 entry. First, you must apply to the CAO (the UCAS equivalent) as that number is required for the HPAT registration. https://www.cao.ie/apply.php More info on the HPAT registration process is here:https://hpat-ireland.acer.org/registration

To your final question, the CAO has no interest in predicted grades. Places are offered - mid-August historically / a bit later since Covid - on the basis of actual results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending