The Student Room Group

LPC 2020/2021 -- Any tips or advice for those who are struggling?

Hi all! This post is a mixture of a story, rant, and lowkey call for help -- who knows, it may even become a thread for other people to share their stories 🤷 I know there's probably similar threads out there, but I can't find any really active/relevant ones from a quick search.

BACKGROUND
I'm currently studying the LPC online at ULaw (was on campus in the north west for the first couple of months) and long story short I am really struggling to 1) do well in assessments; 2) cope with the workload; and 3) stay motivated/disciplined.

I'm really kicking myself as when I was doing my undergrad (different uni) I managed to finish top of my year group, but so far on the LPC in terms of assessments I've failed two mocks (property and interviewing), scraped two passes (disputes and writing), and got a low commendation on the other (business)...

PROBLEM
Lots of people told me from the start that the LPC is nothing like UG as it's more about being right/wrong and coping with the volume of work. However, despite the warnings and trying to be prepared I'm still really struggling to figure out how to work efficiently and get the grades I need.

I get up 6/7 days a week at 9:00/10:00 and work until about 18:00, but still can't seem to get ahead. In terms of the work, I think maybe I'm still stuck in the 'critically analyse' mindset rather than the yes/no/why mindset. I've written, condensed and consolidated about 30,000 words for each of the CPAs (three of them are only 2/3 of the way through the modules) but still find that when I do the tests or mocks I'm missing some really specific point of law 🙄

Also for the first time in my life I'm feeling really anxious all the time as I'm stuck inside alone for the most part of everyday of the week, I'm living away from family so I'm having to do everything for myself (yes, I know that's what adult life entails...), and the thought of failing the real assessments is looming over me like a giant grey cloud as the firm I'm joining (who are kindly paying some of my fees) told me I need to pass everything first time and get a commendation overall otherwise the offers gone and I will owe them/ulaw a ✨lot✨ of money...

QUESTION
Anyway, rant over. Does anyone have any good advice on tackling this course? I've tried all the study tips from YouTubers (cliché I know), I tried working longer hours, I tried working less hours, I bought the YourLPC notes, I bought legacy notes from eBay. I just don't really know where to go from here, and I'm fed up of feeling defeated all the time. WHAT IS THE SECRET 😭

Also, thanks for taking the time to read this post guys. It felt to get it all out 'on paper' and I'm hoping at the very least that even if I don't get any answers someone else can feel re-assured they're not the only one's struggling.

TLDR: I feel like I've tried everything and yet I'm still really struggling to keep up with the workload and get the grades I need on the LPC. That and a bunch of other factors are making me feel super anxious, so I'm in need of some top-tier advice (or at least to know that I'm not alone in the struggle...)
Hi

i have quite a lot of notes on the LPC pm if you are interested
I’m afraid I don’t have any answers but if it helps you’re definitely not alone! I started the LPC online in January and I’m feeling exactly the same way. I’ve never struggled with exams before (I came top of my class in the GDL) but for some reason I just can’t seem to get my head around what I’m supposed to do for the LPC.To be honest I think it might be the online element, as it’s very hard sitting in a room by yourself all day every day trying to read incredibly dull books on procedure. As much as I try I don’t think much is sinking in. I’m really missing the in person lectures/class discussions I had on the GDL, although I don’t know if this would’ve been similar on the LPC for the in person course or not. Whilst I’ve not been putting in as many hours as it sounds like you have, I have been working five days a week and completing all workshops etc. However even if I think I’ve understood the concept, when it comes to some of the exam questions I’m still stumped on what they’re looking for. Sorry, probably not overly useful in terms of what to do, but I’ve found the online course very isolating so just thought it might help to know you’re not the only one struggling! 😊
Original post by Mastersinlaw
Hi

i have quite a lot of notes on the LPC pm if you are interested

Hey do you have any for property? I’m really struggling to understand the lpc and have my exams in 2 weeks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending