The Student Room Group

Alternative Chemistry/Physics course

I applied for Dentistry, but Cardiff got back to me with an alternate offer of either a Chemistry degree (Bsc) or Physics with medical physics degree (Bsc). I don’t do physics at A-Level either (I do Biology, Chemistry and Maths) . Could anyone explain to me how useful it would be to consider doing any of these courses? I am sure I will be at disadvantage if I do physics because most other students will have done a Physics A-level. Furthermore, they said if I do Physics with Medical physics, then I can transfer into another physics course after a year? What do you think? Should i consider these options or a gap year if I don’t hear back from the other unis?
Original post by D_Dev
I applied for Dentistry, but Cardiff got back to me with an alternate offer of either a Chemistry degree (Bsc) or Physics with medical physics degree (Bsc). I don’t do physics at A-Level either (I do Biology, Chemistry and Maths) . Could anyone explain to me how useful it would be to consider doing any of these courses? I am sure I will be at disadvantage if I do physics because most other students will have done a Physics A-level. Furthermore, they said if I do Physics with Medical physics, then I can transfer into another physics course after a year? What do you think? Should i consider these options or a gap year if I don’t hear back from the other unis?

Hi @D_Dev

This is a tricky one and ultimately it depends on what you want to do and what you feel you can cope with. It would be worth checking out the degrees you've been offered and seeing if you find any interesting and think you'd enjoy it. Have you got an interest in either Chemistry or Physics? Or did you have your heart set on Dentistry? It's harder to do a degree you don't find enjoyable but there could be something about the other degrees that you end up really enjoying. If you can, visit some online open days for the new possible degrees and students about their experiences.

You may find a physics degree harder if you haven't done physics a-level as it does build upon that knowledge but if the university has offered you that place then it might be the case that the first year of their degrees aim to give everyone enough knowledge for later years despite what students studied at A-level. Maybe contact Cardiff and ask them about the other courses and express your concerns.

Regarding a gap year, do you think this is something you'd enjoy and would be beneficial? People take gaps years for all sorts of different reasons and then still really going to uni after that educational break. Others find the of pausing their education to be a really unpleasant idea.

My final comment would be not to rush any decisions. It's great to think about other options should things not go your way but there's no point stressing over these things too much. You may get an offer from one of your other unis tomorrow giving you a place on the course you wanted.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions about what life is like on these other courses that you know less as people will be very happy to share their experiences which may help you make a more informed decision. Good luck on deciding what you want to do.

Megan
4th year physics student
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending