The Student Room Group

A- level opinions

i want to go into engineering so was thinking of doing maths physics and psychology but i'm not 100% sure yet can i have peoples opinions on different a level subjects
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by bleak-river
i want to go into engineering but i'm not 100% sure yet can i have peoples opinions on different a level subjects

This sounds a little confusing. You can do an engineering degree, but there are no engineering A Levels. There are engineering BTECs and Access to HE courses though.

If you're asking for the required subjects for engineering, it's usually maths+the appropriate science (physics for most branches of engineering, but you do also get bioengineering and chemcial engineering).

Maths would open a lot of doors but it's a semi-difficult A Level. It's said that chemistry, physics, and further maths are the most difficult A Level subjects, but I would argue that's because most people are not really science people. Sciency people might have a harder time with the other subjects.

If you clarify your question, I would be able to contribute a better answer.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
This sounds a little confusing. You can do an engineering degree, but there are no engineering A Levels. There are engineering BTECs and Access to HE courses though.

If you're asking for the required subjects for engineering, it's usually maths+the appropriate science (physics for most branches of engineering, but you do also get bioengineering and chemcial engineering).

Maths would open a lot of doors but it's a semi-difficult A Level. It's said that chemistry, physics, and further maths are the most difficult A Level subjects, but I would argue that's because most people are not really science people. Sciency people might have a harder time with the other subjects.

If you clarify your question, I would be able to contribute a better answer.

ive just edited it so hopefully that makes more sense now
i want to go into engineering so was thinking of doing maths physics and psychology but i'm not 100% sure yet can i have peoples opinions on different a level subjects

Maths and physics gets you into most engineering courses just depends if you have a specific one in mind
Reply 4
Original post by lilysilly_5454
Maths and physics gets you into most engineering courses just depends if you have a specific one in mind

i was thinking either mechanical or automotive
ive just edited it so hopefully that makes more sense now

OK. So you want to go into engineering. The required subject is maths + the appropriate science, as previously mentioned. If you don't have any intentions of doing chemical engineering or bioengineering, then you're generally looking at maths + physics (software engineering only requires maths if you want to do the degree).

There's little point in talking about whether I would like the required subjects or not (I do actually, but that's besides the point).

The third subject is up to you outside of required subjects.
Psychology is a good A Level just as any other, provided you can get a high grade in it and you're happy to study it. (Having said that, some top end unis might consider it as a softer subject, but that's a different story.)
Alternatively, chemistry, FM, economics, CS are fine alternatives if you can get a high grade in them and you enjoy studying them.
If you want to check the entry requirements of the specific degrees that you want to do, they would usually list out all of the accepted/preferred subjects they allow for the third subject (not that it's common practice). If the specific degrees that you want to do does not mention this, then you're usually free to pick whatever subject you want. Let me know if you have specific courses in mind and you want me to check up on them (you can also email the unis yourself to be sure).

From another point of view, if there is a specific subject that you always wanted to study outside of career related interests, doing it at A Level is a good time to study it.
i was thinking either mechanical or automotive

Then you need maths and physics. The third subject can be anything you want - psychology if you want.

As a side note: you can get into automotive engineering with a mechanical engineering degree, but you can't necessarily get into mechanical engineering with a degree in automotive engineering. It's a similar story with a lot of the sub-disciplines of mechanical engineering e.g. aerospace engineering, robotics. I'd do mechanical engineering to keep your options flexible.

Quick Reply

Latest