The Student Room Group

AS level grades

Do AS level grades matter when applying to universities in North America and UK etc?
Original post by Anonymous
Do AS level grades matter when applying to universities in North America and UK etc?

For the UK, it would depend on the university, and potentially on the course. I don't know about elsewhere.

University of Manchester: "AS-level results are not considered as part of the standard admissions process at The University of Manchester. The exception to this is Medicine and Dentistry courses, where the School requires evidence of a broad programme of study. Applicants will need to present with three A-levels plus 'some other study/activity.' This could be a fourth AS-level, General Studies, Extended Project Qualification, National Citizenship Award or you may have completed a specific widening access programme." (source)

University of Leeds: "If you have AS-level results, we will consider them when making a decision. However, if you have not done AS-levels this will not be a disadvantage." (source)

University of Bath: "To ensure all applicants are treated fairly, we will not consider your AS grades as part our selection process." (source)

Middlesex University London: "GCE AS levels can be used in substitution for up to one GCE A level (i.e. two GCE AS levels in lieu of one GCE A level)." (source).
I went to Sweden and they made very little distinction between and AS & A-level qualifications, classifying them both as Level 4\D. The soul reason I got into my course was because I met the Mathematics requirement (4) with my AS at grade C

So yes, international applicantions may put weight on AS qualifications if you have them. Whether the grade matters... it's always good to aim high but in the case of Sweden the criteria for their admissions was more so how many qualifications you have at at a certain level, in what subject. And as long as the grade was "a passing grade", no forther consideration was made as per the exact grade since the mentality was you reached a minimum threshold of understanding meriting the qualification level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending