The Student Room Group

Undegraduate applications to Sweden

Hi,
I am helping an EU student to apply for bachelor's in Sweden (the programme would be in English) and I am so confused by the requirement of completed secondary education and the first and second admissions rounds. I have messaged the universityadmission.se but it's still not clear to me.
It says that you need to have completed secondary education and I understand this is by time of application? So they don't do conditional offers in Sweden? I thought this would be usual given that people usually apply to universities while they are in their last year of school (sixth form college in UK, or whatever it is called in each country) and then have to provide their final results/transcripts before start of the first semester. Is this not the case for international students in Sweden?
It also says that the first application round is for international students wishing to study in English, especially those from outside of the EU/EEA. Does that mean that all students from outside the EU already have their final results in the autumn of their last year of secondary education (I think that's unusual but maybe it is possible) ? Or do all international students simply have to take a year out and apply in the autumn, following their last year of school?
I know as an EU student, it is allowed to apply during the second round of admissions in the spring and provide all the necessary documentation in June/July and this sounds fine, but in that case, there are not as many courses in English offered. Is the second round the only way to apply (without taking a gap year), even with the limited offer of programmes?
I am interested to know how it works for international students from outside of the EU and I also want to find out what is the best option for the student I am helping, who is from the EU.
Thanks.
I think I can be of some assistance perhaps...

The general entry requirements for a bachelor's education is that you have completed upper-secondary education. I.e. You need to be a able to upload certificates by the time of the document deadline.
What that means in practice is that you need at least two, UK equivalent Level 3 qualifications under your belt. My experience is that they do not differentiate between an AS level and A level. So if you have done some AS-exams, you can put in an application.
This is the same case for Swedish students, who get their results in June and can upload their documents in time for the document deadline in the 2nd admission round, I.e. domestic admission cycle, as you mention.

For Master's degrees, it is possible to receive conditional offers... But you need a document from your current university to confirm that they expect you to have completed your education prior to the start of the course - and they will check that this is the case closer to time.

With relation to which admission round you apply to... It is recommended that internationals apply in the first admission round (usually November-January) because that allows time for those people who need a residence permit (non-EU) to apply and receive one before the start of their studies. Anyone, including none-EU can also use the second admission round. Most often the same courses are advertised again, but on the Swedish version of the admissions site (antagning.se). Although, if you're using this admissions rounds as a non-EU applicant, keep in mind of residence permit application times!

Hope this was of help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending