The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen University - Access to Higher English

I am about to enrol on the online Access to Higher English Course at Aberdeen University. Could anyone let me know how hard this is and what you need to do? Can’t see any in-depth information on the Uni website. How long did this take for someone to do as well? TIA
Original post by CaitlinCam
I am about to enrol on the online Access to Higher English Course at Aberdeen University. Could anyone let me know how hard this is and what you need to do? Can’t see any in-depth information on the Uni website. How long did this take for someone to do as well? TIA

Hiya, hard is quite a subjective term so it's a difficult one to gauge.
My recommendation would be to visit the mature students forum here on TSR and seek some advice is the threads on access courses available there. :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
As far as I'm aware it is to Higher standard, I couldn't say how hard that is unless it similar to the access course I've done which is in a completely different format to how they do access course now. I found this on university site:

You’re completely free to set your own study hours. The learning resources are there for you 24/7, all year round, so you can drop in and study anytime.

Learning and assessment total approximately 150 hours.

That’s around 10 15 hours per week over 12 weeks.

This is a rough guide to the time required for a typical student at this level to achieve the learning outcomes.

‘Learning only’ totals approximately 120 hours of study time.

I would say based off of my own studies with an access course and with uni that is typically how much you'd be expected to study at uni so the numbers they've given are solid. Of course you can do more or less if you like.

As for what you will study, there is something really brief on the website, I couldn't say exactly what you'll do but if you're spending 10-15 hours a week on it you'll have no problems with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending