The Student Room Group

Sitting 3 Highers in S5, is medicine still an option?

Hi,

So when we first had to pick our subjects for s4 I wanted to pick chemistry as I knew I needed this to do medicine. However, my school had introduced a new rule that you couldn't pick a subject if you hadn't done it the year before. Despite me explaining I needed the subject, I was told to pick something else and I'd be able to crash higher it the following year in s5.
Well due to not having any previous knowledge of the subject ( the schools fault for not letting me take it at nat 5) and missing some school due to health reasons, I was advised not to take the exam this year as it was unlikely I'd get anything past a C or a D.
I am currently sitting my exams for higher human bio, English and modern studies aswell as nat 5 maths ( I didn't do the exam last year due to very poor mental health at the time).
This leaves me sitting only 3 Highers this year and I feel as though any chance for a career in medicine without doing it as a post graduate is gone.
Please leave any suggestions.
Reply 1
Hi,
I am also in a similar situation (I had to resit N5 English so I only do 4 Highers)
Did you get good N5 grades? Because Uni's can sometimes put emphasis on Them.
are you a widening access applicant? There are some access to medicine programs at Glasgow, Aberdeen and St Andrews University they usually require BBBB-AABB at Higher.
I'd suggest you call/ email them Just incase you aren't eligible.
There are some English Uni's that allow you to do your Highers over 2 sittings e.g. Newcastle and Hull York
Good luck with your exams :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Hi thanks for the response,

I did pretty well in nat 5 ( acheiving AAABB) but didn't think uni's would really care about that since I'm not doing nearly enough Highers at this point. You've definitly made me want to consider university in England however I was really hoping to benefit from Scotlands free tuition. I guess not everything can always go to plan though.
Good luck with your exams too! I hope your English one was better for you this time around.
Original post by TDCTV
Hi,
I am also in a similar situation (I had to resit N5 English so I only do 4 Highers)
Did you get good N5 grades? Because Uni's can sometimes put emphasis on Them.
are you a widening access applicant? There are some access to medicine programs at Glasgow, Aberdeen and St Andrews University they usually require BBBB-AABB at Higher.
I'd suggest you call/ email them Just incase you aren't eligible.
There are some English Uni's that allow you to do your Highers over 2 sittings e.g. Newcastle and Hull York
Good luck with your exams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending