The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Uwe :wink:
Reply 2
Ratsr
I've spoken to connections but they were pretty rubbish.

They generally are :yep:

Do you want to major city uni (as you mentioned Manchester that suggests you are) or would you also consider a small city location?

Do you want a city centre uni or a campus based uni (where all of the university, departments, accomodation etc will be on the same self-contained site often outside the city/town). Examples of the latter include Warwick, Nottingham, Lancaster, Loughborough and York.

As you're thinking about business, are you interested in taking a year's placement? This is add an extra year to your degree. However, it can provide you with industry experience, contacts and possibly a (basic) salary for a year.

Do you have any particular interests social-wise (sport? Clubbing?)

If you don't know the answer to these questions yet, don't worry.

For a very general guide then unis offering business courses (business, marketing, management etc.) can include

Bath (AAB)
Kings College London (AAB)
Newcastle (AAB)
Durham (ABB)
Lancaster (ABB)
Exeter (ABB)
Cardiff (ABB)
Birmingham (ABB/BBB)
Liverpool (ABB - BBB)
Aston (In Birmingham, well known for its business and engineering courses) ABB/BBB
Keele (BBB)
Hull (BBC)
Swansea (BBC)
Newport (BCC)
Bradford (200 points, say BB)

That's just a rough guide

You'll probably need to concentrate more on the business side of things than economics. Not doing maths will be a major disadvantage when applying to top unis for straight economics (LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol) who'll ask for AAA anyway. For business economics (at places like Exeter) maths is strongly preferred, but not essential as such.

So have a look around and see what strikes you. Try and decide whether you want business/marketing/business economics/management etc. Just remember the maths and economics problem with business economics.

For a guide to busines studies degrees see here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Business_Studies_Degree

You can do UCAS course search and see what's on offer here.

I know it can seem daunting. If you want any help then just ask. Either here or created a new thread in the business forum

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Good luck :smile:
OP if you decide on doing economics be aware that maths is usually a preferred subject so be careful when choosing courses if you go down that route.
Reply 4
Loughborough have a very good Business School. The general business programme contains quite alot of Economics/Marketing which would furfill your needs.

It offers a year in industry which has been proven to be very useful for students in the employment market.

Entry requirements are AAB to so if you are predicted that then it should be fine.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/bs/ug/ms.html
I'm not 100% sure, but don't Manchester have a subject blacklist? I'm not sure if it operates like LSE's where if you have two subjects on it you're practically automatically rejected, nor if applying for Business nullifies Business' presence on the blacklist, but I'm pretty sure Manchester blacklist Business and ICT.

Just a thought.

Another good Uni for Business that River85 omitted, by the way, is Nottingham. They want ABB.

Finally, consider GCSE grade requirements, although by your interest in Economics you probably got a B or better in GCSE Maths (most good Business Unis want that, Aston is the biggest exception).
Reply 6
I checked blacklists months ago, I can't remember. Most people blacklisted ICT, but that's not a problem. I don't think they'll blacklist a business A level on a business degree though.

Latest

Trending

Trending