The Student Room Group

Best A-level choices for Economics at top 15 unis.

What would be the best options for studying economics in the future at unis like LSE, Durham, Bath, Nottingham and Bristol?
Right now my options are Maths, Econ and Business, however apparently further maths is really important. Please let me know if the fourth a level is worth it for someone getting ≈7's in GCSE maths.
Thank you for your time.
I would go with Maths, Economics, and Further Maths where possible. Never drop Maths. Do Further maths if you can. You don't need Economics, despite intending to do a degree in it.

LSE would be picky about having Further Maths. You should be able to get away without doing Further Maths for the other unis.

Some unis consider economics and business being too similar of subjects to consider them 2 separate A Levels. Do check with the individual unis though, and if this is the case I would pick something instead of business. You can always read up on business outside of college or after your A Levels.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I would go with Maths, Economics, and Further Maths where possible. Never drop Maths. Do Further maths if you can. You don't need Economics, despite intending to do a degree in it.

LSE would be picky about having Further Maths. You should be able to get away without doing Further Maths for the other unis.

Some unis consider economics and business being too similar of subjects to consider them 2 separate A Levels. Do check with the individual unis though, and if this is the case I would pick something instead of business. You can always read up on business outside of college or after your A Levels.

Thanks for the response, the reason I have picked business for now is because apparently it is really easy so I just wanted to do something easy and relatively interesting to make me getting my offer easier.
So would you recommend doing business as a fourth or just completely dropping business for Further maths?
Original post by salami.
Thanks for the response, the reason I have picked business for now is because apparently it is really easy so I just wanted to do something easy and relatively interesting to make me getting my offer easier.
So would you recommend doing business as a fourth or just completely dropping business for Further maths?

I would drop business for further maths, especially if you intend to apply to LSE. For the other unis, you should check their entry requirements for the specific degrees that you want to apply for to be sure.

If you want, you can get a second opinion from people who did economics at those unis.
Original post by salami.
What would be the best options for studying economics in the future at unis like LSE, Durham, Bath, Nottingham and Bristol?
Right now my options are Maths, Econ and Business, however apparently further maths is really important. Please let me know if the fourth a level is worth it for someone getting ≈7's in GCSE maths.
Thank you for your time.

although most unis don't state they require further maths, (as someone at LSE) I don't know a single person doing economics without it. What the other people have said is definitely true too, where most unis consider economics and business to be too similar. my recommendation would be maths further maths econ and then another forth subject in something you're interested in (just not business). the same goes for oxbridge and imperial etc, however others like UCL and durham may be slightly less picky but still competitive.
Reply 5
Original post by amberlily051
although most unis don't state they require further maths, (as someone at LSE) I don't know a single person doing economics without it. What the other people have said is definitely true too, where most unis consider economics and business to be too similar. my recommendation would be maths further maths econ and then another forth subject in something you're interested in (just not business). the same goes for oxbridge and imperial etc, however others like UCL and durham may be slightly less picky but still competitive.

What about Warwick? I have thought through a little bit and I feel I shouldn’t apply to LSE as I’m not sure I’ll be able to get in as it just seems too competitive. So would Warwick be really fussed about not doing further maths?
And if business and economics are similar, would Maths, Econ and physics be a good substitute as I find it really interesting.
Original post by salami.
What about Warwick? I have thought through a little bit and I feel I shouldn’t apply to LSE as I’m not sure I’ll be able to get in as it just seems too competitive. So would Warwick be really fussed about not doing further maths?
And if business and economics are similar, would Maths, Econ and physics be a good substitute as I find it really interesting.

Warwick should be fine without the further maths, although you do always have to consider that if you do get in it would be a massive advantage to be able to do further maths for an econ degree. however if you don't enjoy it and don't think you would do very well in it I think its always best to do what you enjoy the most, and then you will get the best grades. for example any uni would prefer 3 A*s in econ maths and physics compared to a D if you force yourself to do further maths and you don't enjoy it.
Reply 7
Original post by amberlily051
Warwick should be fine without the further maths, although you do always have to consider that if you do get in it would be a massive advantage to be able to do further maths for an econ degree. however if you don't enjoy it and don't think you would do very well in it I think its always best to do what you enjoy the most, and then you will get the best grades. for example any uni would prefer 3 A*s in econ maths and physics compared to a D if you force yourself to do further maths and you don't enjoy it.

Okay thank you for the insight.
It was much help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest