The Student Room Group

Struggling on uni course (events/marketing)

I am due to start my degree in international festival and event management this September but not sure if my dream job is in events.

I spoke to a careers advisor a few weeks ago because I feel my drive is more marketing but the advisor wasn’t helpful at all. I spoke to my uni and asked for a course change to marketing but my grades weren’t enough and offered to do a foundation as well.

The sort of thing I want to do is events for movie premiers like red carpets, product launches, really fun engaging events especially with big film/entertainment companies like WB and Disney. However I believe this is all under marketing? I also like the idea of experiential marketing which is like adverts brought to life which sometimes allows customers to get involved. again i think this is under marketing.

a friend recommended requesting to swap course before end of 1st year for marketing which im considering but would i still be rejected with my grade?

I am stuck between leaving it and doing my degree in events then do a masters in marketing? or try to swap to marketing and do a masters in events?

many thanks
Original post by reanneB24
I am due to start my degree in international festival and event management this September but not sure if my dream job is in events.

I spoke to a careers advisor a few weeks ago because I feel my drive is more marketing but the advisor wasn’t helpful at all. I spoke to my uni and asked for a course change to marketing but my grades weren’t enough and offered to do a foundation as well.

The sort of thing I want to do is events for movie premiers like red carpets, product launches, really fun engaging events especially with big film/entertainment companies like WB and Disney. However I believe this is all under marketing? I also like the idea of experiential marketing which is like adverts brought to life which sometimes allows customers to get involved. again i think this is under marketing.

a friend recommended requesting to swap course before end of 1st year for marketing which im considering but would i still be rejected with my grade?

I am stuck between leaving it and doing my degree in events then do a masters in marketing? or try to swap to marketing and do a masters in events?

many thanks

You say, "However I believe this is all under marketing?" and "again i think this is under marketing." What makes you think that? Do you have any evidence?

The reason I ask is that
Anatomy of a Film Premiere says, "If you’ve born witness to a red carpet extravaganza that has run like clockwork; a seamlessly orchestrated concerto of efficiency and wonderment; it’s most likely down to the PR and events team behind the scenes pulling all the strings." (No mention of Marketing being involved.)
This job advert for the BAFTA's Awards Event Producer (from about 10 years ago) says they're looking for "• Expert knowledge of running large scale events Experience in both events and high profile media events Excellent organisational, interpersonal and multi-tasking skills". (No mention of Marketing, even in the extensive list of key responsibilities.)
If you look at the web sites for corporate events companies, they seem to be involved in running the sort of events you describe.

I'm not saying that you're wrong to believe that the events you describe are not managed by those with expertise and experience in event management (?) and are actually being run by the marketing department, but (a) that would seem unlikely and (b) why do you think that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending