The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

All you need to do before your first year

Hi everyone! :crown:

Although there are still two months left before the start of the university, this transition requires several undertakings that should be done in advance. Thus, you will ensure an easy, enjoyable and stress-free start. In addition, you will be able to focus on the university experience and enjoy student life from day one. I have a list of things to do before you start university to make it easier for you.

1. Book an accommodation

The sooner you start, the more options you have. You will not be left without a place to sleep, but with a spectrum of choices, you have a great opportunity to find one that will feel like home. If you would like to know more about types of accommodations and what to consider when looking for a perfect place, I wrote about it here.

2. Pack reasonably

I brought almost everything from Poland as I was afraid things would be more expensive in the United Kingdom. It turned out that Leicester is an extremely affordable city. I did not have to send multiple heavy boxes all the way from Poland and pay billions for the delivery. You can find all you need at a similar or the same price. Therefore, do not get crazy and pack your personal stuff instead of dishwasher tablets and toilet paper.

3. Apply for a student loan

As with accommodation, the same rule applies. The waiting time for a student loan decision can be quite long. Therefore, it is better to apply immediately and have peace of mind.

4. Think about your budget

You will start an adult life soon, which budgeting is a big part of. It is good to spend some time thinking about how much money you have and how much you might need. In this way, you can take necessary actions, like looking for a part-time job in advance. You do not want to do that in the middle of your lectures. I shared my budgeting tips here, and I am pretty sure they will help you save some money.

5. Buy a calendar and find a time-planning system that works for you

I always say that university is one-of-a-kind-experience and it is a crime not to take advantage of outstanding opportunities available to you (you can read about them here). The good news is that you will have time for them as long as you plan effectively. Therefore, a calendar is a must-have at university. Research different time-planning systems and find the best one for yourself. You will be surprised how much additional time you gain.

6. Do a health check

Summer is less busy than an academic year. Thus, it is a perfect time to arrange a complex health check just to make sure everything is fine. Then, you can start university equipped with good health and a full power supply.

7. Join social media groups for freshers

You can start making new friends there, seek comforting advice about this new chapter in life, and explore a wide range of events organised exclusively for freshers’.

8. Set clear goals for the university & research ways to get involved

Think about what you want to get out of university and what you would like to accomplish in those three years. These will be your long-term goals. Then, answer the question of how you can achieve them. It is best to create small steps leading to the achievement of these goals. That way, you have an action plan for success. Just see what your university has to offer (and believe me, there are plenty of options) and get involved in what will allow you to actualise small steps and thus, long-term goals.

I hope you will find it helpful! I wish you all an amazing start. If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to help. You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors on The Ambassador Platform here.

Take care,

Julia :h:
And when you arrive - register for a GP
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by 04MR17
And when you arrive - register for a GP

Hi there @04MR17 - excellent point!

Yes, one of the most important things to do during Freshers, or Welcome Week, when you arrive to your University of choice is to look at what Healthcare options there are and register! :yep:

Although we hope that you won't need any unexpected urgent medical attention during your first few weeks, it is best to be prepared, and to register with a GP close to your University, on Campus, or near your Accommodation for anything from Flu Jabs to prescribed medications.:u:

At DMU for example we have our On-Campus GP surgery - De Montfort Surgery which provides medical care for students and local residents who live within the area. You can check whether you are eligible to join the practice by entering your postcode on the Practice website!

More information on GP's, the NHS App (Healthcare in the UK), and looking after yourself at University can be found here on our website too!

We hope this helps, alongside the great points made by Julia :daydreaming: above, to ease you into starting University study in September!:flower2:

- Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending