The Student Room Group

Is studying in the UK worth it?

Hey! I'm from Malaysia and there is a lot of hype about studying in the UK here. Either for the prestige or just the experience, a lot of my (financially stable) friends and other students here seem to be aiming to study in the UK, if not in Australia. Quite a few of them are already there.

For those who've studied/ are studying there, is it worth it? Or is it only worthwhile to study there if you're going to a top university? (which frankly is what I'm going for)
Reply 1
i personally think if youre spending over 100k+ for a uni (intl fees + food + travel + accom), i'd say deffo only go to the UK if its a good uni that will get you good connections to succeed and you genuinely think youd benefit at that uni for your course more than a cheaper uni near you
agreed with above, check what course you'd like to do at which uk uni and go from there!
Hey,

The UK is definitely one of the best countries to study in, with it's top tier renowned universities, and student-friendly atmosphere, however, the most important thing is finding a course you believe in, and a university that excites you. If that happens to be in the UK, as an international student myself, I can assure you that it's an amazing place to study in, and one that you won't regret choosing.

What course are you currently planning to pursue?

Please feel free to ask any specific questions about the same here!

Cheers,
-Addy(Kingston Rep)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey! I'm from Malaysia and there is a lot of hype about studying in the UK here. Either for the prestige or just the experience, a lot of my (financially stable) friends and other students here seem to be aiming to study in the UK, if not in Australia. Quite a few of them are already there.

For those who've studied/ are studying there, is it worth it? Or is it only worthwhile to study there if you're going to a top university? (which frankly is what I'm going for)

Hi there, hope you doing great😊
I feel I can help you with it doubt. I am an international student from India studying in UK. It is definitely worth coming to the UK for education. You are introduced to the high quality of education and get the chance to share experiences with students joining worldwide.

I am studying MBA Finances at Anglia Ruskin University, Chelmsford. ARU provides courses in almost all of the fields from healthcare, medicine to business and engineering. Students can choose course of their choice and gain the knowledge here.

There are lots of job opportunities as well after completing the studies. Apart from that students can work part time to manage their expenses. Also after gaining the experience of studying here, finding jobs can be easier in home country as well.

I hope it would have helped you to make a decision.
Thank you😊
Reply 5

There are two reasons to study in the UK, or abroad generally.

The first would be if you are confident that your employment / earning prospects would be dramatically increased by having a foreign degree / qualification.

The second would be if you would personally benefit from the experience of living and studying abroad. From what I can tell, unfortunately a lot of Malaysian students take only the most marginal benefits from living in the UK. A lot do a little bit of sightseeing, but then spend most of their time clustering together and recreating home culture going out together, paying over the odds for Asian food and shopping. Whilst there is nothing wrong with this, it seems an unusual use of time and resource.

Hello,

As an international student in the UK right now, I would definitely say it is worth it.
This whole experience has opened my eyes to many things, I've been learning a lot about the world and myself and not to mention it's very fun being in a new country. At times it can be challenging, but you sort of forget about that when so much good stuff is happening.
In terms of prestige, the UK is one of the top countries to pursue higher education in, so I'm sure it will look great in your CV for the future to list a UK university as a place of previous study.

Good luck!
Milena 🙂
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk

Hi there,

I, unfortunately, can't speak on the comparisons between opportunities in Malaysia vs the UK, but I do have many friends from Malaysia studying here. I think that this decision is dependent on your current situation and your end goal. Do you have an idea of what you would want to study and what career you'd like to go into?

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hey there 😀

I am an international student from Poland in my third year at De Montfort University (DMU). Although, I am currently embarking on a year-long student exchange in Spain.

The excitement surrounding studying in the UK experience is palpable and understandable. I can genuinely attest to its value. There are numerous benefits already mentioned above. Therefore, I will share the highlights that reaffirm my decision to pursue this path.

Firstly, I was drawn to the UK's emphasis on extracurricular opportunities, a focus not as pronounced in Poland. I sought to seize every opportunity for personal and professional growth. The abundance and variety of options available throughout my three years at DMU have exceeded my expectations. From academic short-trips abroad to psychological internships, the TEFL course, and Spanish language classes, each experience has broadened my horizons and enriched my CV. Most importantly, these experiences have fostered a new-found confidence and belief in my limitless potential.

Secondly, I sought to connect with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds. Engaging with different cultures not only exposes one to the world's diversity but also facilitates encounters with interesting, inspiring, and compassionate individuals. Some of my closest friendships have blossomed with peers from all around the world. The UK serves as a gateway to a global community where one can learn, grow, and forge lifelong connections.

In conclusion, these experiences significantly enhance career prospects and employability. Upon graduation, one not only earns a degree but also emerges as a confident, independent, distinctive, and culturally aware individual with a wealth of international experiences.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Hi,

I can't personally say whether there is any comparison between studying in the UK and Malaysia but I can speak about the positives of studying in the UK.

I moved to the UK from Ireland to study nursing almost 3 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The opportunities that the university and this degree offers are incredible. The UK, LSBU included, has very high standards of teaching across different departments of third level education and this can be seen through the high levels of employment that are seen from our graduating students.

Our university hosts students from around the world which I think speaks for the opportunities and teaching available in our university and throughout the UK.

I would definitely advise to explore the opportunity to study in there UK as it really is an incredible country to study in!

Hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Hi there,

The UK is filled with incredibly prestigious universities. It is also known for its student experience, the friendliness of the people and many other things. I think that the most important thing to do is find a course and a university which is right for you. It is important that you are going to enjoy your course and you like the atmosphere of the university.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
University of Sunderland

Hey!

I hope you are well.

I study at City, University of London which is located in Greater London. Personally, I do think that London is worth it. These are the reasons I chose to study in the City:

We are in the city-centre and are surrounded by activities and historical sites that we can spend our free time going to. Although, yes, it is expensive, there is a lot that students can do on a budget.

Everything is a bus away! Whenever me and my friends want to go out, because our university is located in London, nearly everything is 1-2 buses away from us. This is helpful because going on the tube each time can get tiring.

The tube - you can get from one side of London to the other so so quickly! This is helpful when you have events that are a bit further out but can get there relatively quick. For example, the Victoria Line train comes every 100 seconds. Not all of them are this fast but its quite helpful.

London has a range of opportunities for students and graduates. As it is a financial hub, students can find internships and other opportunities throughout the City. London is one of the largest cities so this experience can be invaluable.

Diversity - London universities are incredibly diverse

International expose - London is one the busiest, most-watched cities in the world. A range of individuals from esteemed academics to celebs are consistently in London and will often visit Universities. For examples, City, University of London hosted an individual who worked for the UN to give advice to students on Career Paths.

Please do let me know if you have any questions

I hope this helps,
Iris - Politics Student at City, University of London
Hello,

I would like to share my experience with you as an International Student.

I would say studying in the UK is worth it, in the medical industry there is always constant research and discoveries happening here. As a medical student here, I am also offered a medical training job when I graduate without the need to do any extra exams (unlike other countries)

Nonetheless, the atmosphere is very student friendly with a big population of international students. In my university for example, we have students from over 130 countries. The UK is also near other European cities, which is great if you like traveling for long weekeds. The connections that you also make in university are important for both work and to create lifelong friends.

I think it is a great option!

Best of luck,
Haya MBBS 5
Original post by Anonymous

Because you have not stated what type of degree or career prospects you are aiming for, my simple advice is to not bother at all. If you were passionate about the subject you will study, you have mentioned it and why your career would benefit a British university price tag.

My long answer is: I did my FdA, BA and MA here, and you do get favouritism given from British lecturers. They will either do everything they can to help you succeed if they take a liking to you and your abilities and you'll enjoy your time as a student, or if they do not really connect with you on a professional or personal level, they'll just give you the minimum so they can get paid at the end of each month. Once upon a time decades ago, the tuition costs matched the high standard lecturing, but now as of 2024, Brexitland tuition fees patronise the lecturing equality you will receive.

Sure you can go to oxford and pay over 100K for tuition and accommodation (and probably another 100K for daily living expenses) and sit in a lecture room with a world-renowned researcher, but are you expecting their charismatic aura to rub off on you like a magic spell? Will their Microsoft PPTs magically turn you into a world-class scholar as well? Absolutely not. The study, time and dedication you put into your degree is what gives you the best experience, not the country or the culture or the price tag or whatever digitally-modified photos British students post on their social media accounts to make the experience look more than the actual reality.

With the ordeals of Brexitland, the cost of living crisis and general passive-aggressive bureaucracy, coming to study in Brexitland just for the prestige, glamour or social media popularity is not going to nourish your soul, your career prospects or your future success. If you have family, strong friendships, a lover, or a long-standing mindset to emigrate to Brexitland, then it could be something to consider. Do not unnecessarily punish yourself at the expense of popularity. You should maybe to an undergraduate degree with the option of a semester abroad in the UK to start off with. If you love the time here, then consider post-graduate study which will cost substantially less than 3+ years of study in Brexitland. But do not waste over 100K on the risk that you might not like it just because your friends, who are completely different people to you, tell you it is nice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending