The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

UAL CSM or LCC for Graphic Design?

I’ve just received offers for CSM (graphic communication Design) and LCC (art direction). CSM is the best known and seems to have the best tutors etc, but LCC is specifically focused on graphic design. I’m not sure which is the best course to do because they’re both amazing schools.
Curious about this too!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
The answer to your question would depend on whether you are more interested in becoming an art director or a graphic designer. The Design for Art Direction course at LCC will have elements of graphic design, but it's different from their Graphic and Media Design course.
Hello @shanjan9!

Congratulations on your offers!

Graphic Communication Design at CSM and Design for Art Direction at LCC are both great courses taught by excellent tutors. I'm a Design for Art Direction student, and I would love to help you make this important decision.

Design for Art Direction has many graphic design elements but is a broader course that gathers creatives interested in different disciplines. During the course, you will have a chance to work within different creative fields - filmmaking, photography, styling, graphic design, 3D design, coding or print. The project briefs are very accommodating towards your personal interests, and you are often welcome to choose your preferred technique. LCC offers a lot of amazing graphic design facilities - from the Digital Space with graphic design and technology and software oriented technicians to more traditional printmaking studios.

I would advise you to research more on the tutors and academics involved in those two different courses as it will give you an insight into their style and current projects. You can also have a look at courses Instagrams to compare the difference in student's projects. Graduate Showcase is another great page where you can see student's work from last year: Graphic Communication Design and Design for Art Direction.

Lastly, it is important that you read all the materials available on those two courses' webpages carefully. You can see interviews with students and alumni, see what units students are working on and how the projects are being assessed. After that step, you can also consider the location of CSM and LCC and which college you can see yourself attending. I decided to choose LCC as it is very close to the river, Central London and Tate Modern. CSM is based in Kings Cross, and it is surrounded by great shops, cafes and galleries as well.

I hope that it will help you with making your decision. Let me know if you have any more questions!

All the best,
Agata
Reply 4
ThanI you Ágata! You’ve been really helpful bc I want to focus on what I like rather than reputation wise. I’m gonna think a bit further using ur research tips :smile: how’s your personal experience of art direction?
Original post by shanjan9
ThanI you Ágata! You’ve been really helpful bc I want to focus on what I like rather than reputation wise. I’m gonna think a bit further using ur research tips :smile: how’s your personal experience of art direction?

hey i know this is late but im rlly curious.. what was your final decision? im struggling with the same problem right now
Reply 6
Original post by Hyunseo1206
hey i know this is late but im rlly curious.. what was your final decision? im struggling with the same problem right now

same problem here! what was your choice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending