The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
bighhh
thanks everyone for all your ideas, couple of problems i should probably mention:

-to do further maths i need to drop italian or rs as otherwise it does not fit my timetable
-to drop art and do econ would be doing a hell of a lot of work and i dont know if i could handle it in the long term, maybe, but not sure

also, just to clarify, the RS i am doing is different to most RS. It involves a lot of ethics and atm i am studying utilitarianism which apparently is in fact a third of the first year in the philosophy of ppe

at the moment, i'm thinking of probably dropping english and taking up economics but is:

maths, economics, italian, RS, art a respectable set of subjects?

Maths, Econ, Italian and RS are all respected, Art, not that much, so I'd rather swap Art than English for Econ, if I were you :s-smilie:
don't drop RS - some people have no clue about the subject or its perceived reputation from tutors, I think it was just a week or two ago when someone said RS was considered a 'soft' subject (as it has 'studies' at the end of it :rolleyes: ) and is on university blacklists - to this day there is not one university in the UK that has RS on its blacklist of subjects

it will do you a great deal of good (as you have mentioned above) as it will introduce you to alot of concepts within the degree
Reply 22
Inter-Company
don't drop RS - some people have no clue about the subject or its perceived reputation from tutors, I think it was just a week or two ago when someone said RS was considered a 'soft' subject (as it has 'studies' at the end of it :rolleyes: ) and is on university blacklists - to this day there is not one university in the UK that has RS on its blacklist of subjects

it will do you a great deal of good (as you have mentioned above) as it will introduce you to alot of concepts within the degree

RS is so not a soft subject, and apparently, the one the OP is doing could be helpful for PPE so the best would be not to drop it (yeah, I changed my mind about that :colondollar:)
maths, economics, italian, RS, art a respectable set of subjects?

It's good but drop art for History. That would be a fantastic PPE set.
ohaidani
i don't think you can really get onto a course where you haven't studied at least one of the three elements at a level?

actually, for ppe, you very well can!
Reply 25
Drop Art and/or RE for History and/or Economics. Further Maths is amazing fun but probably not that useful for PPE.
Have you considered Politics Philosophy and Economics?
Reply 27
It's been commented that philosophy is not religious studies at all, but when in most A-Level RS courses, the core of it is Philosophy and XXXX then surely it's quite relevant.

I've been doing RS, thinking the philosophy part would be very religious, but it isn't, in fact last lesson was the first time God was mentioned...
Yeah I did RS and it prepared me really well for PPE. Back in my day we did philosophy of language and philosophy of religion and Utilitarianism etc etc. All of which I've gone on to study in more detail for my PPE course.

:smile:

Latest