The Student Room Group

Criminology degree help me!🤣

I’m looking to study an undergraduate degree in criminology at university but I’m unsure of where to apply. I’m currently looking at University of Leicester. University of Coventry and De monfort university. Has anyone done this degree at any of these unis? If so how’s it going etc and if you’re studying criminology at a different uni which one you studying at and how’s it going. I’m doing an access to HE course in psychology and criminology in September which is a year long.
Original post by Jxelmore16
I’m looking to study an undergraduate degree in criminology at university but I’m unsure of where to apply. I’m currently looking at University of Leicester. University of Coventry and De monfort university. Has anyone done this degree at any of these unis? If so how’s it going etc and if you’re studying criminology at a different uni which one you studying at and how’s it going. I’m doing an access to HE course in psychology and criminology in September which is a year long.

Hey @Jxelmore16!

I've just finished my undergraduate degree at the University of Kent, and now heading onto my masters here - so I hope I can give you some advice!

The University of Kent has an excellent Criminology course, and it shows with it's accolades such as being ranked 1st in the UK for Criminology research quality in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 and TEF Gold for teaching excellence. Criminology is apparently of the school SSPSSR (Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research), which is the school I studied within, and the lecturers and seminar leaders are superb. Some of the notable staff for Criminology include Dr Thomas D Akoensi who both studied and taught at the University of Cambridge previously; Dr Michael Mills who is a editor and peer-reviewer for several major academic journals and helped with BBC 1 documentaries in his field of expertise.

Being apart of SSPSSR, they have a great newly-built centre and also host many guest speakers and meetings for the students. The course structure is extremely fluid, which is great if you have specific interests or desires where you would like your future and career to go towards. These can all be viewed here under course structure: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2022/234/criminology.

I hope this has helped - and if you have any more questions, feel free to throw them my way! :smile:

Nathan
- UKC Rep

Hi there,

I have just finished studying Sociology at the University of Bath and undertook many modules in Criminology during my time studying.

The University of Bath has a great, new criminology course, which you can read about here. The Social Sciences courses at Bath consistently rank in the top 10 on the Guardian University League Table and Bath itself is a top 10 university too.

On the Criminology course you do compulsory modules in crime and society, research methods, critical thinkers in criminology, criminal justice processes and practices, social policy, theory, the history and politics of crime and punishment and global crimes of the powerful. You also have to do a Criminology based dissertation in your final year. Apart from these compulsory modules you can pick and choose which modules you find interesting, I found the crime and media, sociology of criminal justice policy and ideas about terrorism, particularly interesting.

You also have the option to pick modules from outside the department too such as in Psychology, Politics and Sociology. You can also choose to add on a placement year, which gives you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience as part of your degree. Social Sciences students have gone onto to do placements at places such as the Home Office, HM Inspectorate of Prisons, Ministry of Justice and National Crime Agency.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :smile:

Isobel (A Final Year Sociology Student)

Hi Jxelmore16!

It is great you are considering further study. Rankings are important but also not the only consideration when you are choosing a Uni. You will be spending three or more years of your life somewhere, so start doing research and making lists of what you want and don't want from a Uni, for example:

Do I want a campus based experienced, or do I want a city. Big city or little city? Do I want some where with a low cost of living? Do I want sports facilities near by? Do the modules match my interests? How far away do I want to be from home? etc etc.

There are plenty of guides to picking Uni's on line, and yes asking current students is worthwhile but bear in mind most have nothing to compare their University with!

For the record we also offer a highly regarded Criminology BA here at Hull: https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/criminology-ba-hons .

It is worth examining lots of courses, even if you do not want to go to that particular place it allows you to see the differences between courses.

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador

Hi @Jxelmore16 [br] [br] I study at Lancaster University currently and I really enjoy it! Whilst I don't study Criminology, I do study Social Work which is in the Social Sciences department. Here is an overview of Criminology at Lancaster. You can always use Uni buddy to chat with Lancaster University students who study Criminology, here. I hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask, and good luck! :smile: - Kerrie, Lancaster University Student Ambassador

@Jxelmore16
Hello! I've just found an article by StudyinUK which ranked Leicester as the second best in the country for Criminology. Here is their ranking below...

University of Manchester. The University of Manchester is globally recognised as one of the best universities in the world, and is currently ranked 27th in the QS World University Rankings 2021. ...
University of Leicester. ...
University of Stirling. ...
University of Derby. ...
Swansea University.

Have you considered doing the course online or with a blended learning approach in either Manchester, Birmingham or London? Arden University offers a variety of Criminology degree courses https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/distance-learning/undergraduate/degrees/criminology-degrees

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 6

Hi,

I had an offer from DeMont and Leicester and I choose to go to Staffs university after completing my access course (as a rather mature student)!

The reason I choose this was the 4 pathway courses you could choose in Level 5, I will be on the offender management route but a lot are taking the OCG & CT route.

The quality of lectures and staff knowledge is superb, and the support I have had for physical and mental health disabilities is second to none.

I spent a long time looking at the modules of the other offers I had (Derby, NTU & Nottingham) but this was my preferred route - they have just spent £40m on Leek Road site and I find I can manage to walk (slowly) to everything I need.

Good luck with your access course, it’s tough but worth it and you will be ahead of lots of the other students whatever university you choose.
Reply 7

Hi I'm in third year undergraduate in criminology at Newman University in Birmingham. Happy to help if I can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending