The Student Room Group

Help choosing a major ( US )

So I am absolutely in love with acting and other regards to theater and writing. But at the same time I've been really into Criminology and Criminal Justice since i was 7. But I dont know what I want to major in for college. If anybody has tips for choosing a major or even just coming from experience it'd be greatly appreciated
Reply 1
Well, if the US is anything like the UK, going to college is a big financial commitment and as such you only have one shot. So, for me, if you don't know what you want to do after college and need college to be of some value to you over and above just having fun, I would take a year or two out and discover yourself and what you want to do in after college. Then you will be in a place where the things you are learning about will have value and you will see progression. I would also caution against doing things that are fun, like theatre studies unless you are absolutely going to devote your life to theatre at all costs. There are lots of opportunities to continue doing theatre as an amateur without the worry of being out of work for long periods of time unable to pay the bills.

Good luck!
Original post by BabygirlFaye
So I am absolutely in love with acting and other regards to theater and writing. But at the same time I've been really into Criminology and Criminal Justice since i was 7. But I dont know what I want to major in for college. If anybody has tips for choosing a major or even just coming from experience it'd be greatly appreciated

Hi there from the UK! :hello: Great to hear that you're thinking about going into further education. When I completed a study year abroad in America, I was able to choose some courses not directly related to my degree to minor in... is there any way you'd be able to major in Criminology, for example, but do a couple of classes in Theatre as part of your degree? If so, that could be an option. You should also consider thinking about what career you'd like to pursue in the future, as this will help to inform your choice. If you did a criminology degree, you could even take up a theatre classes as a hobby on the side if you wanted to explore both, whereas if you did a theatre degree it could be difficult to find a club for criminology. Take some time to really think about what you are most interested in and what career path you'd like to follow, however, before committing to beginning a course.

Hope this helps.

Lauren
Wrexham University Representative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending