The Student Room Group

university in person open days

so I was not able to book any university in person open days I am in year 12. Do you think it would still be a good idea to visit the university area to get an idea to how the university would be like?
Or should i just rely on university virtual events.
Would you buy a house without seeing it?
Yes, you need to visit them. Even if you just go on your own time when there’s not an open day
Original post by Tela
so I was not able to book any university in person open days I am in year 12. Do you think it would still be a good idea to visit the university area to get an idea to how the university would be like?

Hello!

Universities have been able to adapt to provide virtual open days which has been great in the pandemic and for many who cannot visit the campus. We are giving the best experience possible through these open days and the opportunity to virtually tour accommodation and ask lecturers questions really can aid a decision. If you were to attend these and visit the campus, you would definitely be able to get a good idea about the university.

Our university is offering campus tours every day which are one on one with an ambassador. This allows you to ask any questions and really get a feel for the university. This paired with a virtual open day where you can ask the lecturers as many questions as you want can be really effective. I would have a look into if any universities are offering this.

If you are going into year 12 in September then you will still have plenty of time to attend open days and I wouldn't worry yet.
If you have just finished year 12 and are going into year 13 in September then you will still have time to attend open days. The UCAS deadline isn't usually until the January of the year you are going to university and so you have around 4 months to visit the universities you would like to attend.

We are running campus tours at the moment if you would like to come and give us a visit, here is the link: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/open-days/campus-tours/. We would be more than happy to have you!

I hope this helps! :smile:
Lydia
Hi @tela12
I highly recommend visiting the universities in person if you can! It’s a great compliment to virtual tours but also allows you to get a feel for the place first hand. I know some universities including Lancaster are hoping to start open days again in Autumn so I recommend you go if you can and when your at these universities make sure you ask yourself is this somewhere I would happy learning and studying? Is this somewhere I would happy Living? Would I be happy here? These sort of questions help you decide what university is right for you!
Good look with your decisions and enjoy visiting the universities!
Lancaster university student ambassador Holly
Original post by Tela

Hello! I am a current student rep for the University of Kent!
I would definitely say yes to visiting campus before deciding on where you would like to go! it especially helped me in deciding where I want to go and what felt like home!
If kent is somewhere you are considering, you can book a campus tour by following this link- https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit
Good luck with your decision! Wishing you all the best.
- Dale
Original post by Tela

I believe you can arrange a visit even on a non open day to some universities.
Original post by Tela

Hey there @Tela !
I really think it's a good idea to at least go and visit the city you're going to live in before you go. When I was deciding where to go, I felt pressured to go to a Russell Group uni so had one as my firm choice. I went to go and visit my firm and insurance choice universities and the city of my firm just really wasn't for me, I also didn't like the university buildings and it didn't have an overall great atmosphere. As soon as I got back from both I switched to my insurance choice (Hallam) and I have not regretted it at all. If I didn't go and visit my original firm choice then I know for a fact I would have hated it and dropped out.

It also helped because there were parts of my original firm course choice that weren't on the website and by visiting I found out about these things. For example, there was coding in the course which wasn't mentioned on the website. Coding is my worst nightmare and there's no way I could have got myself through it. What I'm getting at is, going to visit the university's even if it's not an official open day, will help you see whether you could see that place as home and whether you'd be okay living in it. It's one of the best decisions I've made and my university career could have gone a lot differently if I didn't go and see both choices. So to answer your question, yes you should go and visit.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by Tela

Hi,

I was not able to get to the open day for Southampton before I applied, but I decided that it would still be worthwhile to drive down and get an idea of where it is I would be living and studying for the next three years. I looked around: campus, the grounds of one of the accommodation blocks and the city centre. I got a real sense of what life would be like in Southampton and this really informed my decision to study there.

After I had done this, I was sure to tune in to the virtual open days which offered me the opportunity to ask questions to the department's academics. I was also able to listen to their informative talks and get a real understanding of what it would be like to study in Southampton.

In summary, I would 100% recommend popping down to the university you have applied to so you can get a flavour of what it will be like.

I hope this has helped!

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
Original post by Tela

Hi there,

I think you should definitely go to visit the University and cities that you are interested in, this would really complement the activities offered virtually. It would give you a really good idea of the feel of the University and see if you would enjoy living and experiencing the city you hope to move too.

There is often also opportunities to visit the University that you get offers for later in the application cycle.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending