The Student Room Group

choosing universities

is it a good idea to choose a university that you haven't visited as opposed t ones you have been to?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Many people can't visit their intended Unis - overseas applicants, and those who just can't afford all that travel.

If you can't visit, have a look at Campus Tour and Open Day films on YouTube - these will give you an idea of what each Uni looks like, but remember its an 'advert' and the Uni will always show you the best bits! Also remember that 'course' is in many ways more important than 'the Uni' so make sure you look at the course descriptions as carefully as you can.

If you apply and get an offer you will be invited to some sort of Uni visit day and some people use these visits to narrow down Firm and Insurance choices.
Original post by The student Dan
is it a good idea to choose a university that you haven't visited as opposed t ones you have been to?

Hi @The student Dan ,

It is preferable to choose universities you have visited either through open days or just visiting but as @McGinger mentioned, a lot of students cannot do this due to distance, time or cost etc.

I think the main reason it is preferable to choose a university you have visited is because you know what to expect from the university and can ensure it meets your requirements and expectations. If you can't visit some universities, they may have some YouTube videos or virtual tours to help you get a feel for the area like the one we have at Kent: https://www.kent.ac.uk/hospitality/virtual-tours/student/.

Virtual tours are great to help you explore the campus in your own time and at your own pace. Some universities on open days also offer campus tours so if you are able to visit in person I would recommend finding out how to do one.

What else is important to you when deciding between universities e.g. distance from supermarkets, student night life?

I hope this helps and good luck!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by The student Dan

Hi! I personally was not able to visit any of the universities I applied to due to covid-19. This didn't end up impacting my uni experience at all, and I have no regrets. Of course, it is ideal to be able to see the campus and talk to staff and students, but it is common for people (especially international students) to apply without this. You can get a lot of information online from university websites, as well as looking at videos on TikTok, Instagram, Youtube, etc. Some universities also do online open days for potential applicants who can't come in person.
Good luck with your application!
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending