The Student Room Group

Notes for IAL Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dominininc
We can assume the ball is falling at terminal velocity so the ball will move in a straight line down towards the right. So essentially on a bearing of 125 degrees i believe

ok ok right
are yall ready for tom? (Edexcel p1)
Reply 22
I’m also doing IAL’s for October 2021. I’m doing U4/5/6. I did U1/2/3 in January 2021 and got full marks in all of them with not a lot of work. Bear in mind your marks are converted to UMS, so a raw mark of like 50/80 can easily be a 120/120 in U1. Don’t stress.
Original post by AzimP
I’m also doing IAL’s for October 2021. I’m doing U4/5/6. I did U1/2/3 in January 2021 and got full marks in all of them with not a lot of work. Bear in mind your marks are converted to UMS, so a raw mark of like 50/80 can easily be a 120/120 in U1. Don’t stress.

what exactly is UMS i really want to know
Original post by elsasabir34
what exactly is UMS i really want to know

me too , I dont fully understand how they can turn to such high marks? can u please explain?@AzimP

Also, Congrats! any tips?
Original post by daylight08
are yall ready for tom? (Edexcel p1)

ahhhh idkkk, what about u ?
Original post by goofy_789
ahhhh idkkk, what about u ?

im lowkey nervous! im kinda hoping the paper is straightforward but at the same time im not cause today's chem paper was super straightforward and because it was so straight, it kept messing with my brain lol

do you know how many 6 mrks qs may come?
Yeah.oh good to hear that chem was straighforward.

Nope im not sure about the 6 markers sorry.
Yeah.oh good to hear that chem was straighforward.

Nope im not sure about the 6 markers sorry.

no worries!!
im lowkey nervous! im kinda hoping the paper is straightforward but at the same time im not cause today's chem paper was super straightforward and because it was so straight, it kept messing with my brain lol

do you know how many 6 mrks qs may come?

aha, im hoping its straightforward so that we all get the marks we deserve. I dont think they are in a position to increase the grade boundaries from previous years so the easier the better.
Reply 30
me too , I dont fully understand how they can turn to such high marks? can u please explain?@AzimP

Also, Congrats! any tips?

Since each year has a different difficulty, getting a raw mark (actual mark) of x/80 in U1 in 2018 is going to be different from getting that same raw mark of x/80 in 2019. So they convert the raw mark into UMS (Uniform mark scale) to fix the disparity in difficulty. Therefore, for each year you get the same amount of people getting a certain grade.

So if your year is filled with low performing individuals, a low raw mark can give you a high UMS mark, since it will indicate the paper is difficult (or people did badly). This gives a more fair grading as if you are set a harder paper than most years, your low raw mark will not disadvantage you.

Do not worry when you get 50-60/80 in raw marks, that is equivalent to getting a 100% in UMS marks (the one that actually counts towards your grade).
Original post by AzimP
Since each year has a different difficulty, getting a raw mark (actual mark) of x/80 in U1 in 2018 is going to be different from getting that same raw mark of x/80 in 2019. So they convert the raw mark into UMS (Uniform mark scale) to fix the disparity in difficulty. Therefore, for each year you get the same amount of people getting a certain grade.

So if your year is filled with low performing individuals, a low raw mark can give you a high UMS mark, since it will indicate the paper is difficult (or people did badly). This gives a more fair grading as if you are set a harder paper than most years, your low raw mark will not disadvantage you.

Do not worry when you get 50-60/80 in raw marks, that is equivalent to getting a 100% in UMS marks (the one that actually counts towards your grade).

Oh i understand now! thank you for such a clear explanation
unit 2 papers are so long:bawling:
unit 2 papers are so long:bawling:

the waves part is so long im literally dozing and i have stats on the same day fml ;/
(edited 2 years ago)
the waves part is so long im literally dozing and i have stats on the same day fml ;/

OMG stats on the same day?!
Don't worry You can do this!
Youre only writing AS papers tho right? I have three more after the most of u finish
OMG stats on the same day?!
Don't worry You can do this!
Youre only writing AS papers tho right? I have three more after the most of u finish

Yea💀yeap just AS this series thankfully!! My last paper is physics U3... You're doing Alevel papers too?
Yea💀yeap just AS this series thankfully!! My last paper is physics U3... You're doing Alevel papers too?

YES ugh i have exams until the 27th.
And the timetable is planned in such a way that i have 5 days bw the unit 5 paper and the 2nd practical paper. I dont think u need that much time .
(edited 2 years ago)
YES ugh i have exams until the 27th.
And the timetable is planned in such a way that i have 5 days bw the unit 5 paper and the 2nd practical paper. I dont think u need that much time .

eekss.. atleast a few days break in between lol!! all the best!
yeah XD
Are yall ready for tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest