The Student Room Group

A level courses that doesn't require IGCSE's

A close family friend wants to study international A levels, but she didn't study for IGCSEs. Are there any education providers or distance learning centres that do not require IGCSEs when enrolling to their IAL courses?
Reply 1
Is she a private applicant or is she looking to be part of a formal school? I'm a private applicant, I didn't sit IGCSEs and just self-studied for IAL. I know people who did the same, but sought private tutors instead, plenty of options online. Then you just apply to your local exam centre for the exams.

If you're looking to actually join a school, I think that'll be more difficult, since most international schools will require IGCSEs. Also note that some unis require IGCSEs to be summited with IAL grades. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Wesley242
Is she a private applicant or is she looking to be part of a formal school? I'm a private applicant, I didn't sit IGCSEs and just self-studied for IAL. I know people who did the same, but sought private tutors instead, plenty of options online. Then you just apply to your local exam centre for the exams.

If you're looking to actually join a school, I think that'll be more difficult, since most international schools will require IGCSEs. Also note that some unis require IGCSEs to be summited with IAL grades. Hope this helps.

She's a private applicant . She wants to join an online course because she can't afford private tutors.
Reply 3
Original post by KDG Blueberry
She's a private applicant . She wants to join an online course because she can't afford private tutors.

Then I don't know any I'm afraid, the online courses I've seen (snaprevise etc) are only tailored to GCEAL and there are quite a few things that don't match so they were a waste of money. Even the written notes on sites like PMT are inaccurate for IAL, so I think it's better to just get textbooks, study that, and look for YT videos whenever you need help.
I know learnnow.org.uk and internationalhomestudy.com provide courses online which do not expect you to have completed or done IGCSEs for doing A levels. But I don't know the quality of their courses, some reviews say their courses are okay, some say they are subpar, but I can only find these two websites which are tailored to your friend's needs.

Quick Reply

Latest