The Student Room Group

Physics Vector Components Question help

I realise this question is one that probably sounds a little harder than it really is, but regardless I haven't managed to get the right answer. Help would be appreciated.

The question is as follows:
A fly in a room is flying on a bearing of 204 degrees at a speed of 0.36ms−1 . Sunlight streams horizontally westward across a room, forming a shadow of the fly on the west wall. How fast does the shadow move? Give your answer to 2 significant figures. (Sorry there is no accompanying diagram to supply here)
My guess is that the sunlight (going westward) is giving the projection of the fly on the wall, and they want the component of the velocity of the fly that is parallel to that wall. Have you tried that?
Original post by mg2004
A fly in a room is flying on a bearing of 204 degrees at a speed of 0.36ms−1 . Sunlight streams horizontally westward across a room, forming a shadow of the fly on the west wall. How fast does the shadow move? Give your answer to 2 significant figures. (Sorry there is no accompanying diagram to supply here)

As @Callicious said, they're after the component of the fly's velocity parallel to the (West) wall.

What is the angle between the fly's bearing and the wall?
Reply 3
Original post by Callicious
My guess is that the sunlight (going westward) is giving the projection of the fly on the wall, and they want the component of the velocity of the fly that is parallel to that wall. Have you tried that?

Original post by RogerOxon
As @Callicious said, they're after the component of the fly's velocity parallel to the (West) wall.

What is the angle between the fly's bearing and the wall?

The angle between the fly's bearing and the wall is 24 degrees.
I appreciate both of your replies, I understand and I have answered it correctly now.
Reply 4
Original post by mg2004
I realise this question is one that probably sounds a little harder than it really is, but regardless I haven't managed to get the right answer. Help would be appreciated.

Draw a line along the flies bearing of 204.
Draw a line along the bearing of 270.
A straight line will connect these lines and represent the wall.
270 - 204 = 66
Then use 0.36 x sin(66) = 0.33 ms^-1
Reply 5
Original post by mg2004

You want to make a triangle to calculate the component for the velocity of the shadow.
Draw a line along the bearing of 204 and a line along the bearing of 270.
A straight line will connect the points making a right angle triangle. This line is the wall.
270 - 204 = 66 This is the angle of the fly relative to the 270 bearing
Then use 0.36 x sin(66) = 0.33 ms^-1
This is the horizontal component being the shadows velocity.

Quick Reply

Latest